Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did they go on?

Hello -
    Just got a tank destruction badge for a uniform that originaly had one - it is quite clear that one was there - however, how would one put a new one on it? Normaly I would leave this sort of stuff alone - but not for this. It looks like there was a bit of glue (?) that held the original one on. I shudder at the thought of gluing one on. I was thinking of sewing it on but then how would they normaly be sewn on? Does anyone have any close ups of a typical atachemnt method?
    Thanks

GLUE! If you use glue I will hunt you down and kill you. I am with the police. I can find you. Even in Budapest.

Stand by while I go to the bunker and take pictures.

Comment

Okay, here are the loops for three badges. By the way, the left badge (your left) is for a panzer badge.
      Attached Files

Comment

And here is a single loop. All they did was sew thread through the tunic a few times and then wrap it. I've never been able to do it as well as they did, but since the thread loops won't be seen behind the badge, it doesn't really matter. (To make it clear, these are pictures of orignal loops.)
        Attached Files

Comment

Sarge,

I think he meant the tank destruction strip that goes on the right arm,either sewn or with attached snaps.

Thanks,Al

Comment

Um - yea - the Tank Destruction Badge - not the assault badge. But the close ups of the loops does help too. Interestingly this tunic does not appear to have any other awards except an EK2, Eastfront, and a spot where the TDB used to be... Any close ups of where and how they were sewn on, glued on, or even snapped on(!?) would be helpful.
            Thanks

Comment

Eindecker2, several ways to attach a TDB to a tunic exists during the war, all depends on where was the soldier and his rank and the tunic it will be attached, normally they were sewn to the sleeve, but other times, for parade or walking out dress, they used snaps so easy removed to clean, also I have hear from several vets that they use a little glue to put insignias and decos into the uniform so it was easy to sew them to the cloth by those without great skills in these matters. It will be no rare to find such tunic with only ribbons fro the EK II and Ostmedaille plus a TDB, I have seen, and one is in my collection, several examples of rear position soldiers who won in a single action the EK II and a TDB and nothing more than campaign or service awards. It will be nice to see the shadow of the TDB in your tunic to help you.

Angel
              Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

That's what I get for being in here when I'm tired...

Comment

Thanks for the update - the original one musth have been initially glued on as the wool has a not so nasty frizzle (? how do you describe that???) I don't want to use any glue so I just wnated to be sure that I could stay reasonably historical by sewing on the new one. Many Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X