More Identification Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Identification Help Please

Here’s another set of tabs that came down from the attic that I ‘m not sure on the identification. Originally I thought they were Veterinary, but they're about two shades different from a set of veterinary shoulder boards, so I’m not sure. The scanner did lie on these, and my best attempts with the photo editor only got the color only close. In Brian Davis book the closest identifiable color is “carmine” or in my description “super hot pink”. Under blacklight the pink becomes a blazing orange. Any ideas on these?

Ignored Due To Invisibility.

I'd say those are Fire Police-- that shade of "hot lipstick pink" will glow lifeguard orange.

Comment

I'd go with Veterinary.

Comment

Depending on how close you came to the actual shade in the scan, they could also be General Staff, however, General Staff tended to be a bit darker than the shade in the scan. I'd get Angolia's vol. 1 of the Army series and see what comes closest in his color chart.

This stuff will drive you nuts (for some its a shorter drive than others).
        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Question for the matched set of private museum keepers in Colorado, since Ricky no longer has any WW2 to try out: what--if any--fluorescence do youze get from blacklighting

1) Panzer pink

2) Veterinary/General Staff

???

Comment

Matched set?

I don't have an answer to that question. I have never used UV light. I know that it is a religion with some collectors, but I have never bought into the theory that, "If it glows it is a repro."
            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

PD, someone else had previously mentioned "High Command". Would that be the same as "general staff"? The actual color is probably two shades darker than the scans indicate. When I put them next to a set of veterinary boards it was like putting Luft flight next to Luft signals. The colors were close, but just enough clash to make me think it wasn't a match. Unfortunately I'm not sure who on the general staff would have worn these, so if someone can enlighten me it would be much appreciated.

As far as blacklights go, they are just a tool. The previous set of DLV tabs I posted has spent the past 60 years in the same attic and I know the whole story. Where the moths have eaten away the thread on the eagle, it glows like fiber optic cable, but the core of the piping is totally dark. Someone told me that the dyes used for different colors had unique properties under blacklight and that could aid in identification. These are orange as a sunrise under blacklight if that helps.

Comment

Ahhhh, blacklights are FUN!!!!! Try the "Invisible Man" socks and.... never mind!

Meanwhile, what I was getting at is I think the only shade of radioactive lipstick pink that will turn dayglo orange is Feuerwehr, so if Panzer and Veterinary/General Staff DON'T....

Comment

Carmine is carmine. The only difference between a general staff board and a veterinary board is the snake device. Remember guys, this stuff is 60+ years old. You gotta expect some fading and color change. (Lord knows time's done that to me!) As for a General Staff collar tab, the litzen bars are different. See below. (The actual color is not as 'raspberry' as the picture makes it look.)
                  Attached Files

Comment

After pulling out a blacklight, I tried it in the dark on a bunch of Panzer Officer and EM waffenrocks, then on a Veterinary Officer waffenrock.

For the Panzer tunics, the collar tabs glowed a "flat" orange

For the Veterinary tunic, the collar tabs glowed a "bright" orange.

The image shown looks like the tabs are most likely for a Veterinary Officer.

Comment

Thanks Guys, looks like we have an answer. Apparently the veterinary boards I compared to have simply faded more than the tabs. Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X