Need help on Collar Tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on Collar Tabs

Every time the vet down the street goes up in his attic, I generally score a couple of new items. This time there were a couple of pieces I couldn’t identify. The only blue tabs in Brian Davis book on insignia I can find are pre-Luft DLV form 32 to 35. From the construction I don’t know if these are very early or very late. Both have danced with moths so the condition is somewhat rough. I’d like to put these up for sale, but I’d like to make a positive ID first. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

And the reverse.

Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Those are Luftawffe Administrative Lieutenant collar tabs. I have a single similar to your pair.

Officially the branch color is listed as "Officers of the Special Service - Administrative Branch." I can also give it to you in German if you want it.
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

If the color is accurate (my scanner has its own "issues" with blues, oy) those could indeed be DLV circa 1934.

Comment

I don't think the DLV ever used the Luftwaffe type of rank "eagle" shown on the tabs.
        OMSA #6582

At my age, "getting lucky" is finding my car in the parking lot.

Comment

Brian's book shows a rank "eagle" on the DLV tabs, but he doesn't have any in his book with the oakleaves. While the scanner was slightly off, I attempted to correct it using a photo editor. The color posted is pretty close to the original. The material in the center is not cardboard, but more of a bakelite substance. Hopefully this will help with an identification cause I'm stumped.

Comment

Here's a xerox I made eons ago, sorry don't have the bibliographical citation-- those were the days I was just happy to find INFO, and didn't care where it came from!

DLV rank chart circa 1934. "Zivilflieger" branch color was "hellblau." The Luftwaffe derived their collar tab ranks from the DLV, not the other way around.
            Attached Files

Comment

In contrast to your official regulations Flieger-Kettenführer, this one has always baffled me, combining officer piping with enlisted style gull:
              Attached Files

Comment

The real color on mine is what you've posted-- my scanner makes it look darker. The reverse--
                Attached Files

Comment

And, just to show that isn't some sort of stuck together tab, here's a DLV flyer, highly decorated ex-WW1 flying officer, wearing officer belt gear but what looks like PFC tabs-- note double gulls' placement at BOTTOM of tabs!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Any chance of seeing a photo of the Luftwaffe Administrative tab for a color comparison? The color of mine and Ricks looks pretty close, but scanners can be deceiving.

Comment

Here is my Admin tab. It is actually a shade or two darker than the picture. I had problems getting the shade exactly right and this is as close as I could come.
                      Attached Files
                      AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

PD, is the reverse of yours traditional construction, or the sewn variety? The colors are so close, I'm not sure how to make a call.

Comment

My tab is glued. In Angolia's book, vol 1 of the Luftwaffe series, he states the collar tabs were glued and sometimes additionally sewn as yours are.

Tough call, but I'd go with Admin. Without the shoulderboards or the uniform it came off of, it is going to be almost impossible to know for sure.

Did you ask your neighbor about how he obtained them? If he remembers, it might give you a clue as to identification.
                          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

PD, my neighbor never fired a shot. He was part of the occupation force. He worked at a depot where civilians and former soldiers were required to turn in any weapons and uniforms to be destroyed or "denazified". Like the veterinary tabs, most of the stuff he brought back was brand new. Apparently a shop of some sort turned in a big load of insignia that had never been used and he picked out items based on colors he liked. He said that if he saw someone turn in something that was a color he didn't have, he'd save it. Thus, there's no way of knowing what type of uniform the blue tabs were removed from. He did say the matching boards may still be somewhere in his attic so maybe there's still a chance. He never ofers anything for sale, I usually have to mow his lot or something to get another piece. Hopefully someday I'll get to find out just what all is up in that attic.

Comment

Thanks Larry

Larry,

Thank you for affording me the opportunity to get these off of you last year. I just happened upon this thread. I have printed off to store with my files so that the history stays with them.

Since your earlier photos have disappeared, I have reposted them.

I would love to see the other items you were able to earn from this vet. Did you ever get to visit his attic?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X