Field Made Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Made Tunic

Here are some pictures of my newest addition, a nice field made 4 pocket tunic. Basically an untouched piece except for the breast eagle which was replaced.

Here are a few pictures.Jim
    Attached Files

another view.
    Attached Files

Comment

close up of the front.
      Attached Files

Comment

Heres the breast eagle.
        Attached Files

Comment

The collar tabs are interesting. I'm pretty sure that they were originally piped in red for wear on the field grey wrap.
          Attached Files

Comment

the back of the collar.

Comment

last picture of the GJ Patch,
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice I like these types of tunics.

Glenn
                "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Very nice Jim , I have one made from exactly the same material . Is it true that this type of material was Russian?

Regards,

Comment

Nice and interesting Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

Very nice find !

Do you need my address to send it over ?

MfG,
                      Bart

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. This one spoke to me.

Tony I'm not sure if the material is Russian or not. I tend to think "not".

Regards Jim

Comment

What makes the tunic "field made"? The construction looks factory typical to me from what I can see. The material is a bit different, but it seems that there are numerous kinds of fabrics that can be used for officer warm weather tunics, correct?
                          HC

Comment

"Field made" in most cases refers to something that was likely to have been made by the Kompanie tailor. Many of these tailors were highly skilled but they had to work with what materials were available. This lovely tunic was not mass produced in a factory but was made by a tailor. Commercial tailors working out of shops generally worked with better materials such as fine gabardine wool and satin linings, in my opinion. This tunic's material could have been scrounged by a Kompanie tailor from any number of sources.

Chris P.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman
                              "Field made" in most cases refers to something that was likely to have been made by the Kompanie tailor. Many of these tailors were highly skilled but they had to work with what materials were available. This lovely tunic was not mass produced in a factory but was made by a tailor. Commercial tailors working out of shops generally worked with better materials such as fine gabardine wool and satin linings, in my opinion. This tunic's material could have been scrounged by a Kompanie tailor from any number of sources.

Chris P.
                              Chris,

I agree completely. However, I'm sure the unit tailors didn't have the capability to mass produce items. This would have forced the unit to seek other manufacturing sources. I read somewhere that the tunics made from Italian cloth in Normandy were locally contracted. Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X