More Afrikakorps Cuff Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Afrikakorps Cuff Titles

For discussion I am posting 3 Afrikakorps cuff titles.

The top title, in all illustrations, was obtained from the vet who brought it back. The other 2 I have found while unpacking and cannot recall the sources.

I know the 1957 version is close, but all three of these titles are different. Can anyone please provide the definative answers as to which are wartime produced and which are either 1957 versions, and which are outright fakes?

Thank you,
    Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Detail obverse
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob Hritz; 10-31-2005, 12:55 PM.

Comment

detail
      Attached Files

Comment

Verso detail
        Attached Files

Comment

Verso 2
          Attached Files

Comment

Verso 3
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bob Hritz; 10-31-2005, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob, thank you for posting these pics.

The only one which I regard as original is the top one. (I would have said that without the Veteran bring back connection ) This is the only pattern which can be observed in wartime photos and found on original un-touched tunics/greatcoats. Rommel himself wore this pattern.

The other two are both reproductions in my opinion, for the usual reasons; Shape of the "dots" within the "R","P" and "O". Touching "A & F": Shape of the letter "S". Also I have observed these being sold by known fake sellers.

The "1957" connection does not really exsist. This cuff title was not re-introduced for wear, as it was a formation sign and not an award or decoration. You might be thinking of the "Afrika" title? I have heard that these titles were reproduced by the DAK Veterans association as souvenirs, but I have no proof of this. It could simply be collectors folklore? But these good quality copies have been around for many years now and continue to be sold, often by dealers with good reputations, so they can fool the proffessional.

I have been writing an article for the forum on these titles now for several months which I really need to finish.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello Ade, actually I was waiting for you to go first . I only own one of these and it matches with the characteristics of the first one. I also consider the 2nd and 3rd cuff titles to be post war repros, although the materials of the 1st and 2nd are identical (amazing, I wonder how did they manage to coppy that).

Regards,

Comment

Hi Tony, cheers mate

1 & 2 are similar indeed in materials, but they differ in construction, not only in the lettering, but in how the edges of the title are woven, which can be seen on the reverse.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X