And finally..an odd one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And finally..an odd one!

I don't know what to make of this one, whether it is genuine or altered for stage prop. or a late war rehashed for the volkssturm or something...An M36 style tunic, no lining, no size or maker marks. Unviversal non backed litzen, (no evidence of any previous stitching) and an odd adler..
    Last edited by Harry; 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM.

rear........

Comment

inside... I added the belt loops to this one...

Comment

some strange stampings....

Comment

and a sort of serial number written on inside........

Comment

adler....

Comment

litzen......

Comment

collar reverse.....

Comment

sleeve patch - gefreiter??

Comment

unit marked shoulderboard buttons..

Comment

Anyone care to add anything to this??

Comment

Harry,

I was actually waiting to hear if anyone else more experienced could comment on this one. I really don't know what to make of it. But since there's no comments yet, I guess I'll have a go at it.

On the exterior it looks generally good, although there are some features I question:
                        - Cuff vent is shaped like a known reproduction
                        - Underside of collar is wool fabric
                        - I don't particularly care for the texture of the badgecloth on the outside of the collar

I've never seen an M36 with such a skeletonized lining before. The piece looks old, but unless this is a variation I'm not familiar with, I'd tend to agree with your idea of a film costume. The markings on the inside remind me of theater markings.

I love the other two M36's you've posted. Too many questions on this one, IMO.

Paul

Comment

Hi, the tunic pictured is an original economy pattern m36; like everything, they used to be more commonly encountered. Sometimes they had pants with them with a typical white ribbed cloth interior. My set is not marked I have seen both BW photos as well as Mid/latewar color footage of them in use. These tunics are usually encountered with a '35 pattern bird; all I have seen, however have the 6th company buttons on them . The color footage I'm talking about I saw on a "Tales of the gun" episode on german weapons from the History Channel. I believe these were produced in the late 30's to accomodate the large number of Austrian army transfers in a short period of time. They usually have either infantry or pioneer boards on them, backed in the same fabric as the tunic,with the tops matching the collar. I have a book About Austrian tranfers training for the mountain troops called"Wir Vom Alpenkorps" published in Vienna in 1938, which includes a photo of an NCO wearing one in a mountain hut. The best and most definite evidence of their use is in "Tales of the Gun" in which a training unit demonstrates the assembly and dissasembly of the primary german weapons while wearing them {this footage is in color and shows nonadjusting sleeve and closeup of '35 pattern Bevo ect.}. I have a tape of that episode somwhere. I'm sure you can still obtain it from the history channel.

Mark
                          Last edited by wurfmine; 10-18-2005, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I will try to post pics of mine at some point
                            Last edited by wurfmine; 10-18-2005, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wurfmine
                              I will try to post pics of mine at some point
                              Wurfmine:

Thank you for the additional information. Very interesting...I had never heard of this variation.

If you cannot post the images, please email them to me & I'll post them for you. The photo from Wir Vom Alpenkorps would also be good to see.

Paul
                              Last edited by Paul McKee; 10-19-2005, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X