Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breast Eagle - opinions please

Dear Sirs.

I would like opinions on this Brust Adler.

Best regards
    kristensen
    Attached Files

pic 2 - the reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Anyone?????

Comment

Hi Kristensen,

IMHO, I see nothing wrong with your eagle. I vote definitely good!

This particular embroidered on wool pattern with the checkered appearing breast and with ring instead of wreath is usually found on KM or CA, but I think the maker's switched thread colors for different branches on identical eagle patterns. I have a similar pattern for both Heer and KM on wool and both are identical pattern eagles, so I think yours is just one more original variation.

Regards,
        Gary

Comment

Hi GLM.
          Thank you very much for the fine informative answer. I have only one question -CA? Can't figure out what CA is? Civil Abzeichen?

Best regards
          kristense

Comment

Ca = Coastal Artillery

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ahh, I didn't think of that.

Thank you very much.

Best regards
              kristensen

Comment

KM - CA Breast Eagle

Here is an example of the Coastal Artillery embroidered on wool breast eagle as described by "GLM" above. I believe this example of mine to be original.
                Regards,
                John
                Attached Files

Comment

Reverse view:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I cant tell from the photos but do either of these pieces have a two tone thread effect on the rear?

Comment

No, not on the CA eagle.

Comment

Here's a shot of the one I have.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I mention the two tone thread effect on the rear as its a characteristic i like to see in original machine embroidered pieces.
                          You can see this effect on pieces such edelweisses ( both army and SS),luft breast and cap eagles,also KM eagles.
                          The effect is a meshing on the rear of the coloured front thread and a plain bulking out thread (normally cream,grey or white).
                          This effect is particulary evident on luft breast and cap eagles.Anyone who collects these should know exactly what i am talking about

I am not dismissing the pieces shown if they lack it.Its simply something i like to see in original machine embroidered pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by keifer kahn
                            I mention the two tone thread effect on the rear as its a characteristic i like to see in original machine embroidered pieces.
                            You can see this effect on pieces such edelweisses ( both army and SS),luft breast and cap eagles,also KM eagles.
                            The effect is a meshing on the rear of the coloured front thread and a plain bulking out thread (normally cream,grey or white).
                            This effect is particulary evident on luft breast and cap eagles.Anyone who collects these should know exactly what i am talking about

I am not dismissing the pieces shown if they lack it.Its simply something i like to see in original machine embroidered pieces.
                            Kiefer,

While I pretty much quit collecting 3.R in favor of pre 1955 USMC twenty years ago, I personally think it's a mistake to dismiss any insignia that doesn't have a different colored reverse bobbin thread as that of the obverse. While it's very nice to see insignia with a heavy white (or any color other than the obverse) backing thread, there are many original pieces that have the same colored bobbin thread used as that of the obverse as in John's CA eagle. While I haven't seen that particular pattern of eagle he has and would want to blacklight and maybe do a burn test on one of the loose gold threads, I don't dismiss it because of the bobbin thread color.

Here is a perfect example of the same colored thread used on both sides. This Luft. breast eagle was acquired from a childhood friend whose dad brought it home during WWII. It's a pretty ratty, well worn, dirty eagle, but the thread on the reverse is just as silver as the obverse. What appears to be white thread on the reverse is actually the shine on the silver thread from my scanner.

Regards,
                            Gary

Obv.
                            Attached Files

Comment

And the solid silver bobbin thread to reverse
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X