Metal cap edelweiss question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal cap edelweiss question

Hello guys tell me please does anybody know this variation of edelweiss?

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Sergey,

It has obviously been well used and must have been worn for a very long time. It has the straight stem of the WW2 standard military issue, but the leaves and centre are all wrong. Has one of the leaves broken off, or was it always like this? The centre looks like no edelweiss badge I have ever seen. I am guessing it was sold either pre-war or during WW2 as an unofficial item for wear by children or a member of the AlpinVerein, but this is just a guess!
      I seem to be seeing a lot of "variants " of the edelweiss badges lately, yet the experts tell us there is no proof and we should only accept the ones we see in photos, period catalogues, and original documentation as the true ones. A great many odd looking edelweiss badges are on the market. Many were crafted in the pre-war period in mountain villages, while others were made in the post-war period for sale as fakes or in tourist shops. But a few of these odd looking edelweiss do turn out to be real WW2 items.

Comment

Hi Sergey,

This is a standard pre-war Edelweiss that had the normal gold coloured stem replaced. One of the leaves has broken off as can be clearly seen on the back.

Hope this helps,
        Bart

Comment

Thanks guys. I am happy that it is original.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
          X