SVBD288 Afrikakorps Officer & Driver Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVBD288 Afrikakorps Officer & Driver Display

Officer, Driver and Tunisia Tactical Symbol. Driver wears only known example of Hat/Pith Helmet SVBD288 Field Made Pin.
    Attached Files

Afrikakorps SVBD288 Officer & Driver

The Officer of Panzer Grenadier wears a privatley made SVBD288 Pin named to Ersatz Abt. of HQ Co. Shoes are rare 3rd Pattern low shoes. TActical Symbol taken from command 1500cwt Vehicle
    Attached Files

Comment

Afrikakorps SVBD288 Display Officer & Driver

Officer has a Beretta Holster and Map Case
      Attached Files

Comment

Cufftitle is originally applied and quite corroded although pictures do not show this. See other posts for the back story.

For all you DAK'ies,

Gary A.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is, without a doubt, my rarest display. 1942 Tunic, 2 loops, IC 2nd Class, 1942 Bandage packet in pouch, original cufftitle. Wearing faded Italo-German Afrika Medal and Private Officer's SVBD288 Pin as in Schiffer. DAK Vehicle TAc Symbol and 3rd Pattern Low Shoes. Driver has 1941 Shirt and Pz. Gren. Boards with Variant Field and SVBD288 locally made pin with hat/pith helmet attaching loops.

Comment

Well, they don't come much better than that, do they?
            Amazing pieces, Gary. Superb.
            Steve

Comment

IMO this "officer" was an EM before he had officer's boards added to "jazz" him up a bit. Regardless, this is a nice group!

Comment

Any chance of a closer look at the 288 insignia?

cheers, Rik

Comment

Officer's Tunic

Rolf,
                  You bring up a good point. I don't want to stir up controversy but... I do not believe all officers modified their tropical tunics. This is a 1942 date tunic, so it would be Gazala or later. I would agree it could have been an NCO but no tresse which also happened in my opinion and photos support. A tunic with 2 loops, Cufftitle, and IC 2nd Class ribbon was probably an Officer's, again in my opinion. That's my 2 cents worth. Thanks,
                  Gary A.

Comment

SVBD288 Pins

Both Pins are in Schiffer's "Afrikakorps."

Comment

Originally posted by gparmitage
                      Rolf,
                      You bring up a good point. I don't want to stir up controversy but... I do not believe all officers modified their tropical tunics. This is a 1942 date tunic, so it would be Gazala or later. I would agree it could have been an NCO but no tresse which also happened in my opinion and photos support. A tunic with 2 loops, Cufftitle, and IC 2nd Class ribbon was probably an Officer's, again in my opinion. That's my 2 cents worth. Thanks,
                      Gary A.
                      Gary,
                      I totally agree with you. Not all officers added continental insignia to their tunics in fact quite a large number only added officer shoulderboards. A perusal of photographs in just about any book containing pics of the Afrikakorps will clearly show this.
                      And Gary, keep showing all of your wonderful collection, you know how much I love what you have been able to acquire over the years.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark!

Mark, Thanks! When I take it out of storage, my next post will be an NCO Panzer Grenadier Mannequin wearing a Tropical Blanket Coat in A-Frame Assualt Rig. I still think Blanket Coats are the rarest of all tropical German issue. What do you think Mark? Legend has it that Dal M. picked up a corporal's Blanket Coat with pick piped boards and originally applied chevrons at a garage sale for $5 Australian! Again, my 2p worth......

Cheers,

Gary

Comment

Rolf,
                          Gary A.
                          Why would he hane not been issued an officer's version of the lighter weight jacket?

I have a Waffenrock with plenty of loops (he is an Oberfeldwebel). Just because there are loops doesn't mean that he was an officer.

Comment

Response to Rolf

Rolf, You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I to mine. That's the great thing about collecting. My research has led me to a different set of conclusions. That doesn't mean I'm right, it just means I have a different opinion. We can agree to disagree on this matter.
                            Thanks,
                            Gary A.

Comment

Rolf, You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I to mine. That's the great thing about collecting. My research has led me to a different set of conclusions. That doesn't mean I'm right, it just means I have a different opinion. We can agree to disagree on this matter.
                              Thanks,
                              Gary A.
                              You don't need to get all defensive like. I was just stating that because he has loops doesn't mean he was an officer. Now, I don't know much about the DAK stuff, but I would assume that there were some regulations about the officer's wear versus the EMs wear. You don't see it in continental stuff too often, but there are officers with EM's stuff so it does happen and that doesn't rule this one out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X