Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder Board Size

Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of Oberstleutnant of Flak sew-on shoulder boards. The boards have the red underlay and 5 silver loops of Russia braid on them. All appears normal with them except that the length of the boards is just 4 1/4 inches. This is quite small and I am wondering if these were for a really small person (were they made in different sizes like US shoulder boards are today - for wommn and men) or were these special for some reason.

Thanks. (I am at the office so I cant photograph them)

Gary B
    Last edited by Gary B; 10-22-2005, 12:39 PM.
    ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Hi Gary,

Slip on straps and boards did come in different sizes in order to properly fit different sizes of tunics.

Sew in straps come in differing sizes as well, and were chosen during construction to properly match the proportions of the tunic.

Here are three slip on straps, each one is one half cm longer, or shorter, than the one beside it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Hodgin; 08-31-2005, 04:10 PM.
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Dear John,

Thanks for answering my question and posting the photos. That really helped. I just started to collect tabs/boards and the info has been really helpful.

Gary

Comment

Gary, 4 1/2" is actually on the longer end of the scale for field grade boards. I took some measurements for you and mine range in length from 3 1/2" to 4 1/2".
        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B
          Dear John,

Thanks for answering my question and posting the photos. That really helped. I just started to collect tabs/boards and the info has been really helpful.

Gary
          Happy to help Gary, good collecting!
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Dear John & Thomas,

Attached is a picture of the board which I had described in my initial posting. As you can see I measured the Oberstleutnant boards incorrectly in my first posting (I stupidly used my wife's enginnering scales which wws obviously not inches). As you can see though the boards are quite small (about 3 inches) when compared to a more normal sized board.

Comments? Or was this just a very smalll person.

Thanks.

Gary B
            Last edited by Gary B; 03-04-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Gary, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that board. It would be welcome in my collection anytime. I have field grade boards that range in size from 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" (measuring the entire length of the board not just the 'russian braid').
              AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

Thomas,

Thanks again for allaying my fears. I will put it back with the other shoulder boards I have!

Gary B

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X