Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukrainian jacket?

Hi Gents and the ladies!

I could use some experts thoughts on this one.
    Got it yesterday in one of the biggest estates i ever bought.

So could use some feedback on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Things I like:

Original shield, eagle and other insignia.
    The Ukrainian shield also looks period worn, which is a good sign. (not like that brand new insignia that fakers like to slap on)
    Also rare variant of M-44 style Ost boards.
    The collar tabs look to be original, i like the Luft tresse that is applied, I have seen such tresse on other period POA tabs.

Things that worry me:

The tabs them self look newly applied (compare the buttons - the button on the shoulder board has wear, while the collar tab does not).
    The boards could be easily added post war.
    Also lots of fakers follow the German directive (which assignes these tabs and boards to both POA and YBB) and create such YBB tunics by just adding Ost boards and tabs to them. But I have in 16 years of studying the topic, never seen photos of Ukrainians wear such uniform. They either wore very little insignia or full German uniforms with just YBB sleeve shields (of course I might be wrong, as we don't know everything that was worn)

I conclusion suspect that this might be original volunteer tunic, but the boards and tabs were added later. Would be good to hear other opinions, especially what people can say on the eagle and sleeve shield - if they are period applied or not.

Cheers

Comment

Original Tunic, original Boards (nice set), good Eagle, and Shield also good. Boards not 100%, if possible make some clear closeup also from the Buttons. Was worn like this, but to me all postwar redone. Eagle is for sure resewn, and since that is the Case, shield too...same Thread.
      WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Badges are all newly sewn, as said before, same thread used.
        But what bothers me also is the tunic itself, the lining under the collar in regard of this model is strange, it ain’t the typical pre and early war backing material but also not the common M40/41 hbt lining.

Regards

Comment

Insignia looks to be added, but the base question is was this a foreign volunteer piece during the war? Foreign volunteer tunics have extra wide shoulderboard loops to accommodate the wide tongues used on these boards. I'd look hard at the loops - if they are newly added or sewn with the same thread as that breast eagle, someone tweaked the tunic.

s/f Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X