How bad does this hurt it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad does this hurt it ?

Just wanted your opinions on this. Lets say there is an extremely rare shoulder strap. Less than 10 known to exist and value is at 1000 if all complete. In this case, the bottom strap/loop has been cut off. So, what there is the top part of the strap (with the monogram ) but not the bottom OD strap/loop. The board is in otherwise great shape ( no mothing, etc. )

How much does this hurt it? If it was worth 1000, what's it worth now?

Thanks,

Eric

Hello Eric,

I have had the same difficulty with rare SS and rare monogrammed shoulder boards and SS cuff titles. I usually use the 50% rule with these.......unless I MUST have it, like a FJ monogrammed board which I have sought, unsuccessfully, for years.

The 50% rule applies when I believe I can wait for a perfect example and would rather pay a premium for perfection. When I have upgraded rare items, the damaged piece seldom brings more than 1/3 of the value of a perfect piece.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I guess I have a tighter guideline than Mr. Hritz. If there are nine perfect examples out there, then the tenth - the damaged one, is worthless to me. I would do what I can to get one of the perfect examples instead.

Comment

That's a tough question. Bob's answer is probably more 'real world' than mine, since he has experience selling - I just collect, never selling anything. My answer is purely personal, with no thought of either selling or upgrading the strap. (If I found another, I'd most likely just keep both.) On a $1000 strap - assuming that it still displays well from the front - I'd still pay $600 - $700 for it. The 'only 10 exist' situation would pretty much preclude passing on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Suter (Sarge)
          That's a tough question. Bob's answer is probably more 'real world' than mine, since he has experience selling - I just collect, never selling anything. My answer is purely personal, with no thought of either selling or upgrading the strap. (If I found another, I'd most likely just keep both.) On a $1000 strap - assuming that it still displays well from the front - I'd still pay $600 - $700 for it. The 'only 10 exist' situation would pretty much preclude passing on it.
          If indeed there are only 10 of them... I would say go for it! If I were in your position, I too would pay 600-700. DONT PASS on it or you will regret it forever.

Just my two cents

Best regards
          Paul REck

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I went ahead with the purchase (as I knew I would....). I will post pics when they (a pair) arrives.

EQ

Comment

I can hardly wait to see it! What branch are they?

Best regards
              Paul Reck

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X