Clear All

Hi Craig,

I will look forward to it!

Very respectfully
    PAul Reck

Comment

here tis

Ok now at home

The book is Uniforms, Organization & History of the Afrika Korp By Roger James Bender & Richard D Law. pub 1973ISBN NO. 0-912138-09-2.

Page 201 states :

"This decoration was awarded to members of Rommel's command in early 1942. It was a semi offical medal which was awarded by the Italian Military Command& therefore had no presribed regulations for wear. The German Recipients wore the medal in a number of ways, some of which are as follows
      a. Mounted on a medal bar
      b. through the button hole of the left breast pocket flap
      c. simply pinned onto the uniform
      d. and through the second button hole of the tunic ( the ribbon only 36 mm wide ) , in the same manner as the Iron Cross 2nd Class ribbon was worn"

So, there you go.. not sure were Roger got that information but maybe somone who knows him could ask ? I wanted to do this with one of my uniforms so you could have it underneath like the Eastern Front or Rommanium. Detlev had some for ages whilst I ummed & ahhed about it - then when I bit the bullet it was gone

But I think it would look different to the usual display options - i've checked the pics in the book & there is no pics showing this.

Regards
      Craig
      Strong wind-magic mist, to Asgard the Valkries fly
      High overhead-they carry the dead, Where the blood of my enemies lies - MANOWAR - Hail to England

Comment

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info! I

knew all of what you said except for the ribbons being worn in the button holes of either the pocket or the second button like the EK2.

When you said that Detlev had several... do you mean he had several tunics with this ribbon in the button hole?

I too would love to see a photo(or a verified untouched tunic!) done up in that manner! The tunic would make for a very different display! If it was indeed worn in this manner, I am sure that it would be most easily found in a photo as I am sure most service members removed the ribbon from their tunics and ribbon bars as prescribed...

Best regards
        Paul

Comment

No mate

I meant he had loose Afrika Ribbon for sale but now it is gone....
          Craig
          High overhead-they carry the dead, Where the blood of my enemies lies - MANOWAR - Hail to England

Comment

opppss

Comment

I'm sorry for kicking this thread up but I thought I have some interesting contributions to show. All these photos come from an album from the same guy. He served as a Rechnungsführer in Romania in 1940-41.

I will start with two photos of the Romanian Kampf gegen Bolschewismus ribbon in wear.

My question: what were the award criteria for this medal?

This first one is the ribbon through the button hole:

Last edited by Tim DC; 09-15-2005, 06:10 AM.

Comment

The second photo shows the ribbon bar of this Romanian medal being worn on the left breast pocket

I think this one is quite unique...

Comment

Another photo from the guy with the glasses but this time his friend is more important. I think the yellow ribbon is for another Romanian medal?

Comment

I was already confused by the variety of ribbons but this photo made it only worse
                    This one has got a darker stripe in the middle of a light colored ribbon ... I have no idea which one this is ...

Comment

The last photo shows the same ribbon.

Hope you liked these photos, and any additional info is welcome

Comment

Hi Tim

Thanks for showing these photos & I hope you get some answers as I will be very interested
                        Craig

Comment

Here is a thread with a photo posted by a different member of the Westwall medal being worn in the buttonhole:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=124851

Chris P.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X