Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring a Combat Tunic?

Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice with regards to potentially restoring this Artillery Combat Tunic which I have owned for a number of years. All of the insignia is originally attached, however, on the left forearm you can clearly see where a sleeve patch has been removed/souvenired at some point. The size and dimensions of the 'shadow' match that of the Artillery Proficiency Sleeve Patch which would seem logical for a Tunic of this Branch. I have recently been able to obtain an original BeVo example of this Patch so I have the following questions -
    1) Should I restore the Tunic or just leave it as it is?
    2) If I do restore it, will the sum of the individual parts be worth more than the completed item? I will not be selling it though.
    3) If I do restore it, how do you physically attach the patch? Do you fold the edges underneath and then attach, or do you cut out the patch from the backing cloth?
    All advice much appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Colin
    Attached Files

part 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Please do not do it. I always leave my tunics the way I found them

Juan

Comment

I also leave my tunics as found.

Comment

Agreed, leave it alone.

Comment

I will leave it as it is.
            Many thanks

Comment

That may have been a best dress tunic that later during the war had the insignia removed for wear at the front as clothing supplies dwindled. That makes more sense if all the other insignia is original than the idea that only that patch was removed after the war for whatever reason. I have a couple tunics with the trade patches removed and they were worn that way during the war with the clear outline. I also believe for that patch, you had to qualify every year so it is possible he was no longer auctioned to wear it later in the war.

Comment

If you restore it, then it will always be scrutinized by the-know-it-alls.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  If you restore it, then it will always be scrutinized by the-know-it-alls.
                  What ?
                  Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                  teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

I recall back in the old days, about 63, when you saw piles of all kinds of WW2 relics, there was a guy who had a nice M36 wool SS tunic. Rune tabs and officer's boards. I saw it a number of times. He could not get $100 for it then.

It had a "Florien Geyer" cuff title.
                    I watched him cut it off and sell it to some guy.
                    I saw a lot of tunics from Germany that had eagles removes or just neutered.
                    MLP

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                      I saw a lot of tunics from Germany that had eagles removes or just neutered.
                      That basically German Ebay today.

An "old timer" collector friend told me a story about going to a big show long ago and watching a guy sit at his tables and cut originally applied insignia off tunics. And his story is not unique.

Comment

Up to you of course but personally I would keep it as it is

Comment

First, do not cut off the excess material on the patch. It is folded under to prevent fraying. If you are going to apply it, It is just sewn in place with some thread, maybe black or feld grau if you can find it. There is original wartime thread around. Regardless, sewing it back on will not damage the tunic. If you change your mind later, or some future owner doesn't like that it was replaced, it can be easily removed. No bid deal either way.

Good luck with your decision.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                            First, do not cut off the excess material on the patch. It is folded under to prevent fraying. If you are going to apply it, It is just sewn in place with some thread, maybe black or feld grau if you can find it. There is original wartime thread around. Regardless, sewing it back on will not damage the tunic. If you change your mind later, or some future owner doesn't like that it was replaced, it can be easily removed. No bid deal either way.

Good luck with your decision.

Tom

Plus one on this one.

Fred

Comment

I agree with Tom, it's no big deal to hand stitch this patch on.
                              Try wetting the patch first, that makes it easier to neatly fold the backing material.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X