U Boat surrender flag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U boat surrender

Dönitz's last order to the submarine force: all U-boats to surface, hoist black flags and surrender to Allied forces

Comment

KM chart with a black flag

Originally posted by glaser View Post
      Dönitz's last order to the submarine force: all U-boats
      to surface, hoist black flags and surrender to Allied forces
      Update to this WAF thread post #2,
      found a KM chart with a black flag.

OFW
      (below) From WAF t=431064 post #1 in "Der Signalgast". .................................................. ............ VVV
      sigpic
      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Nice find. John

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
          Dönitz's last order to the submarine force: all U-boats to surface, hoist black flags and surrender to Allied forces
          From surrender of U-805:
          Attached Files

Comment

The signalman was Charles "Chuck" Frugoli, US signal man 3rd class.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by militaria.no; 05-16-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

He later got the U-805 Kriegsflag and some cutlery from the submarine as souvenirs:
              Attached Files

Comment

Cool, I've just noticed this thread has grown a little since the first reply.

There is no provenance that I am aware off with the flag, but I may try to speak to the vendor in person to see where it come from and why it's described as a u-boat flag.

There is a note on it which states it is identical to one in a museum in France (Caen I think)

Its at an antique centre, where multiple dealers trade via cabinets.

The asking price is £80.

Hopefully I'll get back over there within the next week.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, really interesting.

Comment

Very cool to see how this thread has developed!

I know it was a chore just to determine that black flags were indeed available to U-boat crews, but is there any way to determine what size and make the flag would be on board the boat?

If you could determine that, you'd have a basis to compare the one for sale.

For £80 it may be a worth a gamble.
                  Knowing, of course, there may never be any providence; and also that you may never even be able to prove its similar to ones actually carried aboard a U-boat..

- Jeremy

Comment

I popped into the shop today and spoke to the dealer.

Apparently he got it from a collector who had 3 of these flags. The collector had offered one to a military/maritime museum in Caen, France.

The museum verified the flags as the real deal, and they kept one. The collector kept another and sold the third to the dealer.

I measured the flag, it was 63cm x 42cm.

I took another picture, but to be honest it doesn't show anything.

Do the sizes seem right?

Is it worth buying this, it's probably not my thing but someone on here might like it?

Comment

Personally, I do not think it is a good investment. Provenance would have to be solid, much more than the story you heard, since it would have to go back to the collector and where he got all three flags.

Since provenance cannot be determined, and I think from the photos posted we see the size of the flags varied, it is an interesting topic but not an interesting purchase.

John

Comment

U Boat surrender flag

This one is for sale. Seller claims it is from the war museum in New York. Never heard of it so I googled it and I guess they are some sort of broker for museums--not sure if they are actually a museum? Anyway, they are asking $1500. Problem with it is, even if it is legit, is that you will never be as cool as the guy with the U-858 flag....

Comment

Imo ...

Originally posted by Jtrew1984 View Post
                          U Boat surrender flag
                          This one is for sale. ... they are asking $1500.
                          Problem with it is, even if it is legit, is that you
                          will never be as cool as the guy with the U-858 flag....
                          Hello Jtrew1984:
                          IMO an authentic WW2 era made RKF, likely 50x85cm based
                          on the header (rope removed) proportions - the size often
                          seen used at sea on U-boats. Restored torn fragment makes
                          for an interesting story. This
                          also happened to a US Civil War
                          Minnesota regiment flag during the flag's 1905 last veteran
                          trooping to their state capitol flag hall. A young girl picked up
                          the flag piece from the street, and years later as an old lady
                          returned the flag fragment when Minnesota restored their ACW
                          flag collection in the 1970's. The flag repair conservator told me
                          how the piece fit right back into the hole on the now relic flag,
                          this was while I was at his shop having similar preservation work
                          done on some of my old US, UK, and German regimental flags.

OFW .....

(My 1st WAF Avatar)
                          (below) My first military flag was a 50x85cm RKF from the
                          Brest U-Boat Pens, captured by a US Colonel in 1944, and
                          sold to me at a 1970 Vallejo Gun Show for $20.
                          The Colonel's
                          heavy artillery unit shelled the harbor defenses into surrender
                          - Brest France during WW2 had U-Boat Pens, Mare Island (MI)
                          California Navy Yard made US subs & USN flags during WW2.

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 03-11-2016, 12:59 AM.
                          sigpic
                          .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrew1984 View Post
                            This one is for sale. Seller claims it is from the war museum in New York. Never heard of it so I googled it and I guess they are some sort of broker for museums--not sure if they are actually a museum? Anyway, they are asking $1500. Problem with it is, even if it is legit, is that you will never be as cool as the guy with the U-858 flag....
                            Well, have a look at the badges also from the same source....

Comment

Please provide link to this source.

Comment

Photos copyrighted by the auction house. Need permission to post here. John
                                Last edited by John R.; 03-11-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X