Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
    Hello Norm:
    Superb multi-signal flag flying display photo - Bravo!
    Noting larger sizes in use, vs "nice" smaller set posted.
    Well, that begs the next question. What is the official size of KM signal flags and did they vary? I would think regulations would be quite strict on such things?

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

KM Flag Sizes ???

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
      Well, that begs the next question. What is the official
      size of KM signal flags and did they vary? I would think
      regulations would be quite strict on such things?
      Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Great question. Indeed the KM used flag sizes
      related to the tonnage of their vessels. 50cm size
      were usually the smallest KM issue examples, and
      IMO the size used on Harbor Tugs, small boats
      with high center masts (not E/U-Boats), yachts,
      and for signal flag mast basic training on shore.

OFW
      sigpic
      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Norm,

What a wonderful photo!
        When you compare the size of the man and the flags, these flags are much, much bigger then mine.

thanks for posting!

I like the detail of the attachmentrope, when you compare these to f.i. Lanex flags, these have the hooks directly attached to the flag with just a short ropeloop. While all of mine have this longer rope on one side (allso visible on the photo Norm posted).

Michiel

Comment

I have got a couple of these marine marked signal flags in my collection.
          They have the same metal hooks as shown and one has a stitched label from a company in Koln. I will dig them out when I get over the lurgy.
          By the way,what does Lanex mean, is this a manufacturer? I have this printed on my flags as well as the letter/number that the flag represents.

Comment

Yes I understood Lanex is one of the flag manufacters.

Comment

Originally posted by michiel01 View Post
              Yes I understood Lanex is one of the flag manufacters.
              Thanks for that michiel01, appreciated.

Comment

Another photo of the Meteor with all the signal flags mounted. They must have done a lot of laundry!
                Attached Files

Comment

photo date ???

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                  Another photo of the Meteor with all the signal flags
                  mounted. They must have done a lot of laundry!
                  NF:
                  Another great photo, especially nice view with
                  the bow jack shown flying. What was the date?

OFW
                  (below) Found elsewhere online...
                  Dressing Ship
                  On national holidays, at regattas, and on other special occasions,
                  yachts often "dress ship" with International Code of Signal flags.
                  The ship is dressed at 0800, and remains so dressed until evening
                  colors (while at anchor only, except for a vessel's maiden and final
                  voyages, and participation in a marine parade or other unique situation).

In dressing ship, the national ensign is hoisted at the stern staff (and the
                  Union Jack may be displayed at the jack (bow) staff on government vessels).
                  A rainbow of flags of the International Code is arranged, reaching from the
                  water line forward to the water line aft, by way of the bowsprit end (or stem
                  if there's no bowsprit) and the masthead(s). Flags and pennants are bent on
                  alternately, rather than in any indiscriminate manner. Since there are twice
                  as many letter flags as numeral pennants, it is good practice, as in the Navy,
                  to follow a sequence of two flags, one pennant, two flags, one pennant,
                  throughout. The sequence recommended here provides a harmonious color
                  pattern throughout:

Starting from forward: AB2, UJ1, KE3, GH6, IV5, FL4, DM7, PO
                  Third Repeater, RN First Repeater, ST Zero, CX9, WQ8, ZY Second Repeater.
                  sigpic
                  .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Hi OFW,

It would have been the summer of 1940 but I don't know the exact date. Probably in Aarhus, Denmark.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X