MP35/1 9mm magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP35/1 9mm magazines

Why are MP35/1 magazines so hard to find? Would like to find more than the one I have. Have only seen one in over 30 years of collecting.

Michaelangelo

I can't answer the question of "why" they are difficult to find (other than the WWII German issue MP35 being a fairly uncommon gun in the NFA Registry here in the US). I can, however, confirm that it took me a lot of work to find the (3) 32 shot mags and (2) 24 shot mags that I have.

One 24 shot mag came with the gun when I acquired it as a registered Dewat 3-4 years ago (it has since been Form 1 reactivated and runs well . . . super fast, almost as fast as a PPsh 41; for sure a LOT faster than a MP40 or Beretta 38/42). I later found another 24 shot mag on GB, followed by a 32 shot mag on GB. The other (2) 32 shot mags came from a local buddy who spends 24/7 on GB and who acquired several really nice MP35 mags in a package deal of MG items that he stumbled upon (and, if I recall correctly, the seller did not recognize the significance of the MP35 mags so he got them cheap). I had to pay FMV prices for all of the mags that I have acquired.

On the mag pouch, everyone who has looked at it suspects that it is a contract item likely produced as sort of a "generic" pouch for the various 9mm SMG's in use by the Waffen SS. Made by the well-known leather goods vendor Robert Larsen of Berlin (who seems to have supplied a large percentage of the weapons-related leather goods procured by the WWII-era German police forces), but the mag pouch has no police acceptance stamps on it. In fact, it is devoid of markings other than the maker's mark and 1943 date. Thus, it's not military or police, but clearly WWII-era German production, so the question is for whom would such a military-type SMG mag pouch have been produced in 1943? Any further thoughts on the mag pouch would be most welcome.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are further photos of the mag pouch.
      Attached Files

Comment

Having computer problems w/photos this morning . . . another try.
        Attached Files

Comment

Trying again.
          Attached Files

Comment

Aren't they interchangeable to the MP28?

Comment

Originally posted by Promo View Post
              Aren't they interchangeable to the MP28?
              No, they are not. Mp35 mag is quite different from the mp28. The mp28 and Sten magazines are the same. The Brits just copied the mp28 mag when making the Lanchester and later the Sten smg.

Comment

Alan - Nice pouch. I have a 1944 date Robert Larsen pouch identical to yours. Interestingly, the most prominent use of this pouches as documented by period photographs was during the Gran Sasso raid to rescue Benito Mussolini, led by Harald Mors & Otto Skorzeny. This operation, as I understand, was a joint effort between the SS & Luftwaffe. The series of press photos taken immediately after show the German Commandos wearing these pouches in pairs on the right and left of the abdomen. It appears at least two of the wearers are carrying an mp38/40 (folding stock and/or muzzle is visible). One of the wearers has on a helmet with Luftwaffe insignia. Some of the other wearers appear to have the Heer/SS type chest eagle. There are beretta 38a in the photos as well. Interestingly, this raid was also one of the first uses of the FG42. These photos can be found with a google search of “Mussolini rescue commander”.
                Last edited by wandering38; 12-05-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

MP35/1 mags

Alan,

Thanks for the pictures. You have some really nice pieces.

Michaelangelo

Comment

Guys: Good discussion we have going here . . . thanks for the input. Following the tip from Wandering38, I found the Mussolini photos; attached is a representative example showing the pouch in question being used.

Also, I checked and MP40 mags do fit in the pouch, although they are a good bit longer than the MP35 mags so the fit is very tight (length wise). On the MP40 mags, they seem to allow the flap/cover of the pouch to close more easily when the mags are inserted upside down.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Also, I think someone asked if the MP28 mags are interchangeable with the MP35 mags. The answer is no, as the dimensions of the two types of mags are very different and the MP28 mag simply will not fit into the MP35 mag well (see attached test photo). Also, the feed lips of each type of mag are different as well, with the MP28 mags using a "single stack" configuration vs. the "double stack" configuration of the MP35.
                      Attached Files

Comment

BTW: Here are a couple of other photos I've found over the years showing this type of mag pouch in use. Looks like the weapons shown in the photos are MP41's and MP28's in use by the Waffen SS.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Puuu...were was make this Photo...?

Greets Mike

Comment

Mp35/1

Alan,

Have we spoken before about an MP38 that was for sale at the SOS a few years ago?

I am getting a 35/1. It has police and SS markings. If you care to tell; how is your marked?

Michaelangelo

Comment

I think that is a "yes" on the MP38 . . . . it is a "reweld" gun, correct?

Here are the markings on my MP35. Yes - it also has the Police installed bolt safety.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X