Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kar 98 az

Originally posted by oldcorps View Post
    The restoration and preservation of antique firearms for future generations is a process that has gone on for centuries. Over the past fifty-plus years my 18th and 19th century firearms restorations have become valued parts of dozens of collections and I will continue in the practice for as long as I am able. Reversing the folly and neglect of previous owners is an obligation we all share and therefore, we have to bear in mind that the lamentable condition of this restorable Mauser is solely due to these two factors. Allowing it to further deteriorate is a process not worth further comment.
    Hello oldcorps! I think i did some careful work, hereafter some detailed pictures!

Comment

Nice work! Much of the rust will lift off with penetrating oil under cloth patches for a few days and a gentle bronze brushing. During WWI, your rifle appears to have served with a Bavarian artillery regiment that should be researchable. After removing the surface rust you won't be able to do anything about the pitting that's left. Hope the bore isn't too bad and there's still some rifling left. Try Gunboards and the K98K Forum and see if someone has a 98az bolt.

I just completed a Mauser 98K sporter rescue and if you'll PM me an email address, I'll send pictures.

Comment

The restoration and preservation of antique firearms for future generations is a process that has gone on for centuries. Over the past fifty-plus years my 18th and 19th century firearms restorations have become valued parts of dozens of collections and I will continue in the practice for as long as I am able. Reversing the folly and neglect of previous owners is an obligation we all share and therefore, we have to bear in mind that the lamentable condition of this restorable Mauser is solely due to these two factors. Allowing it to further deteriorate is a process not worth further comment.
        And you do this by proper storage and, when present, addressing actual problems (active rust, extremely dry and delaminating stocks etc), not imaginary ones. Other than a light coat of oil on the metal and some select and careful rust removal, this rifle required nothing besides proper storage.

Comment

Kar 98 az

Nice work! Much of the rust will lift off with penetrating oil under cloth patches for a few days and a gentle bronze brushing. During WWI, your rifle appears to have served with a Bavarian artillery regiment that should be researchable. After removing the surface rust you won't be able to do anything about the pitting that's left. Hope the bore isn't too bad and there's still some rifling left. Try Gunboards and the K98K Forum and see if someone has a 98az bolt.

I just completed a Mauser 98K sporter rescue and if you'll PM me an email address, I'll send pictures.
          Hello, jrfclaude@yahoo.fr

Comment

Pics of my '39 Oberndorf sent.

Comment

Kar 98 az

Pics of my '39 Oberndorf sent.
              Hello John,
              The mark is a Weimar mark: A/.R.R.9.95= 95th army of the Ausbildungs Eskadron of Reiter Regiment 9.

Reiter-Regiment 9
              9. (Preuß.) Reiter-Regiment
              Reiter-Regiment Fürstenwalde
              Kavallerie-Regiment 9

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X