Walther Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walther Model 4

Has anyone seen a period WW1 photo of the Walther Model 4 in use or carry? Who were these issued too? Are they a Non Com item or general issue to junior Officers?

Originally posted by p-59a View Post
    Has anyone seen a period WW1 photo of the Walther Model 4 in use or carry? Who were these issued too? Are they a Non Com item or general issue to junior Officers?
    Maybe there is a photo or two somewhere but most WWI carried pocket pistols are seen in holster photos and IMO usually impossible to really say what type is inside. Maybe a half dozen different types of 32. Cal supplied in large numbers and another half dozen types supplied in lesser number with most using about the same type and size holsters.

Common sense would indicate that 32 cal pistols were mostly carried by more rear area NCOs and staff, admin and service support type officers, however there are many photos of entire MG crews in the field equipped with 32 cal pistols and others of officers and NCOs in the trenches carrying them

What is known is that most types of procured 32 cal were both issued and offered by the military as private purchase

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
      Maybe there is a photo or two somewhere but most WWI carried pocket pistols are seen in holster photos and IMO usually impossible to really say what type is inside. Maybe a half dozen different types of 32. Cal supplied in large numbers and another half dozen types supplied in lesser number with most using about the same type and size holsters.

Common sense would indicate that 32 cal pistols were mostly carried by more rear area NCOs and staff, admin and service support type officers, however there are many photos of entire MG crews in the field equipped with 32 cal pistols and others of officers and NCOs in the trenches carrying them

What is known is that most types of procured 32 cal were both issued and offered by the military as private purchase
      That is interesting. Did any of the company records survive?

Comment

I’m not sure if you are talking about the manufacturer records or the unit records at Company level but I assume the former. Despite the minimal utility some place in books, I highly recommend Jan Still’s on Central Powers pistols. Using a combination of extensive serial number study, unit markings and period inventory and contact delivery documents the work provides an excellent picture of the quantities, types and dispersion of pretty much every type handgun Used by Germany and its allies

Comment

Ok, Last question...did these make into WW2 service?

Comment

Originally posted by p-59a View Post
            Ok, Last question...did these make into WW2 service?
            I would say yes. BILL

Comment

I agree with above. I have personally seen several bring backs in various holsters of course exactly what circumstances they were found is unknown, but I would believe that I fair number were carried by older officials and the like who had them in WWI. Also be aware that they continued making these through the 1920s for commercial sales and I think that there were 4 or 5 variations of the model 4 in successive production

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X