Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was there a scoped STG44

https://www.rockislandauction.com/ca...keywords=Stg44

Yes there are. Most late war Sturmgewehrs (Stg44) had Zf4 rails to accommodate the ZG 1229 Vampir 1229 night vision scope. I believe this rifle (1552 aj) is a well documented authentic rifle.

Comment

Why would the scope be numbered to match the weapon? No mention is made about the mount being numbered to match the weapon.
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
        Why would the scope be numbered to match the weapon? No mention is made about the mount being numbered to match the weapon.
        This is what got my attention too. Were there any documented scopes that were serialized to match the gun?? I can see an armorer mounting a scope in the field but to have a matching serial number seems like a long shot.

Comment

Maybe someone with specific knowledge of this rifle can chime in but I remember this StG44 and Zf4 selling at Rock Island back in 2014. Apparently the ZF4 is a true Kurz scope calibrated to 600 meters and marked as such. That alone makes it extremely rare. Why serialized? Who knows but they used the same style markings and serials engraved on some Zf4s that were mated to FG42s. The rifle has the correct late-war rail probably intended for the Vampir.

Comment

Originally posted by sen24 View Post
            Yes there are. Most late war Sturmgewehrs (Stg44) had Zf4 rails to accommodate the ZG 1229 Vampir 1229 night vision scope. I believe this rifle (1552 aj) is a well documented authentic rifle.
            What do you base this claim on? I have seen many stg44 in museums, auctions, and collections over the years, and the vast majority do not have zf4 rails. In fact very few of them have rails, and many of those seemed questionable.

Comment

I didn't mean MOST Stg44s had zf4 rails.. I meant most Stg44s (late-war sturmgewehrs) that HAVE rails were intended for the Vampir infrared scope. There are very few authentic ZF4 rails on sturmgewehrs. The do exist in several museums. I think its estimated that only a few hundred had these rails out of 440,000. The early rails were intended to mount a ZF4 scope but it was found that the rifle was not suitable for sniping. The later rifles used the same rail design but were intended to mount the 1229 Vampir infrared scope, which attached with a mount base very similar to a ZF4 mount.
              Attached Files

Comment

Makes sense! Thanks for clarifying

Comment

Here are some other authentic (in my opinion) ZF4 rails on late war(45 dated) rifles. The last one is at the Aberdeen Museum.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The gun sold at RIA for $60k. I guess there is someone who feels this sturm is authentic.

Comment

I think $60k is a good deal for how rare this is. If I had the money I definitely would’ve gone for it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X