luftwaffe? flare gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

luftwaffe? flare gun

Over the years I've snagged a number of WALTHER Banner flare guns in the 26xxxL and 27xxxL range. This guns have a luftwaffe proof similar to those found on Krieghoff lugers, and para gravity knives.

But this gun i picked up yesterday is in a much later range and has only the eagle 359 and no lift style proofs. Is this a luftwaffe gun too? just later?

I've always assumed that possibly these left marked single barrel flare guns are what went into the holster section on para smocks. Any one else have thoughts on this?
    Attached Files

serial number

serial number is 46621L. the L in the number could perhaps mean LUFT contract or could mean Leucht for light?

Comment

Hi,
      The "l" after the number is just part of the way of counting the Id number.
      It has nothing to do with the Luftwaffe.
      Would it be possible to have a closer view of what you call a "luftwaffe proof similar to those found on Krieghoff lugers, and para gravity knives" please ?
      Thanks very much in advance
      Best regards

PS: Look here: http://leuchtpistole.free.fr/Sommaire/En_Modele34.html there is a 1937 flare gun with the 389 control number made by Walther

Comment

luft flare guns

Here are three luft marked flare gun s in the 26xxx and 27xxx range. Took me a while to dig them out. On closer examination, some have the L after the serial number, some do not.

The proofs are obviously Luftwaffe. I thought these would be common knowledge with flare gun collectors? I've mentioned them to fellow flare gun collectors many times over the years.

I don't have the new flare gun book I hard about a few years back, but I would think these would be mentioned in there. The proof is Eagle over 2 which you see on Luftwaffe guns and holsters. I have a LUFTWAFFE 98k that was reworked and it has a luft stamp on the side of the barrel.
        Attached Files

Comment

You also see this Luftwaffe style proof on the brown, drop style luftwaffe holsters used for Browning 1922s, Hungarian P37s, etc.

Comment

Anyways, I was wondering about this commercial, non wehrmacht, line of walther banner flare guns and the where one i just got fits in. I have som e other banners with the navy proofs on them, that it the eagle over the M/III marks.

Comment

Hi,
              You are right regarding the LW eagle marking, it's a Luftwaffe commercial. So that's a contract signed by the LW.
              But regarding what it was ordered for is quite difficult to know.
              It could be for pilots, for FJ or any member of the the LW (even people on the ground).
              Hope it helps a little bit.
              Regards

Comment

Sorry i don't have any flare gun reference books that would inform me but is this not a known flare gun variation? Got my flare guns out and found other banners with naval proofs etc. will post them later.
                Last edited by robert; 11-13-2018, 10:51 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X