Luger holster unit marking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luger holster unit marking

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. A friend of mine inherited a Luger from his uncle. It is not a numbers matching gun. The upper is marked BYF 1941. This all seems to match. The frame has GESICHERT next to the safety. The holster that it came with has 15/J.R.4.11 carved into the leather. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it means. I have seen dog tags with similar markings. Thank you
    Last edited by John Cook; 01-27-2017, 01:12 PM.

Originally posted by John Cook View Post
    I am new to the forum and this is my first post. A friend of mine inherited a Luger from his uncle. It is not a numbers matching gun. The upper is marked BYF 1941. This all seems to match. The frame has GESICHERT next to the safety. The holster that it came with has The holster has 15/J.R.4.11 carved into the leather. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it means. I have seen dog tags with similar marking. Thank you

The marking would be for the 15th Infantry Regiment, 4th company pistol number 11. It strikes me as a Reichsheer era format but I can be sure without seeing. You say "carved" in as opposed to stamped (pressed) would mean it is informal done by a soldier.....which is unusual rather than unit applied.

I also assume that the holster is Imperial era or certainly prior to the mid 1930s.

The byf may or may not have been carried in that holster but it is almost sure that it was not originally issued with it.

Comment

Weimar era marking is with slash, so from this its a Infantry Regiment nr.4, 15.company and weapon nr.11.b.r.Andy

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
        The marking would be for the 15th Infantry Regiment, 4th company pistol number 11. It strikes me as a Reichsheer era format but I can be sure without seeing. You say "carved" in as opposed to stamped (pressed) would mean it is informal done by a soldier.....which is unusual rather than unit applied.

I also assume that the holster is Imperial era or certainly prior to the mid 1930s.

The byf may or may not have been carried in that holster but it is almost sure that it was not originally issued with it.
        Thank you. If I can post a photo I will.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
          Weimar era marking is with slash, so from this its a Infantry Regiment nr.4, 15.company and weapon nr.11.b.r.Andy
          Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
            I agree with you on the regiment after a second thought on this.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X