Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K98 With Unusual (British?) Markings

Hello all,

I bought this K98 a few years ago, primarily due to the unusual markings all over the receiver. It is a BYF44, mismatched parts, in an unusual stock that has no markings but late war characteristics. It has no U.S. import marks, but I have been told the unusual markings are British. The overall condition of the rifle is excellent, and the bore appears unfired.

I would appreciate any comments or input regarding this rifle. I have not seen another K98 with these types of markings. The receiver has very rough machining marks which made it difficult to read the cartouches. I am not interested in selling it, but would the value be commensurate to a typical RC?

Thanks,
    BR

British Commercial proof marks.

Info on British Proof marks

http://www.hallowellco.com/birmingha..._date_code.htm

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Dating%20your%20rifle.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Richie B View Post
      Thank you for that information. Lots of good info in those links. I wonder how it ever went from England to the U.S.

Comment

I would say that the gun was likely a British soldier's bring-back from WWII that was confiscated by and/or surrendered to the British police authorities during some of the post-WWII "roundups" of contraband firearms. It was then sold to Sam Cummings of Interarms Corp. (Alexandria, VA) who imported it into the U.S. (together with several hundred thousand other surplus British military and/or police confiscated firearms that were sold to Mr. Cummings in the 1950's - 1960's). The British proofs were applied (per British law) upon the gun's export from the UK to the USA.

All of this would have happened pre-1968, as the U.S. "Gun Control Act of 1968" halted imports of military surplus arms (until the law was amended in 1986).

Not sure when the stock was sanded and varnished; also, the metal looks to have been refinished. Mr. Cummings had operations where some of these surplus arms were "refurbished" (i.e. stocks sanded, varnished and metal refinished) prior to being exported out of the UK, so your rifle may be a product of his refurbishment activities.

Comment

Stock is postwar Czech. You can tell this because it has the bolt disassembly hole in the buttplate, but also has the band-spring and bayonet lug, and is made from walnut. This combination of features never appeared on a wartime German gun, but was frequent on post war assembled guns made in Czechoslovakia after 1946. This rifle was likely imported in the way suggested by Alan, sporterized, and later restored with the post-war stock seen on it today.

Comment

Originally posted by wandering38 View Post
            Stock is postwar Czech. You can tell this because it has the bolt disassembly hole in the buttplate, but also has the band-spring and bayonet lug, and is made from walnut. This combination of features never appeared on a wartime German gun, but was frequent on post war assembled guns made in Czechoslovakia after 1946. This rifle was likely imported in the way suggested by Alan, sporterized, and later restored with the post-war stock seen on it today.
            Many thanks on the additional information. I have another K98 that is postwar Czech that has a very similar stock, although not refinished as far as I can tell. The only real difference is that the BYF44 stock is channeled for a cleaning rod, whereas my actual Czech rework K98 is not. The lug has the hole but the stock is not bored for it.

Comment

A firearm made in a country that did not have a reciprocal gun proof agreement with England had to be proofed before it could be sold commercially in England. The rifle shows post 1954 proofs, and appears to be 1964. Weapons Lend-Leased to England from the U.S. had to go through the same proofing when released by the British government before they could be sold commercially.

The firearm was probably purchased by a British arms dealer, and imported into England where it had to be proofed in order to be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Peppers View Post
                A firearm made in a country that did not have a reciprocal gun proof agreement with England had to be proofed before it could be sold commercially in England. The rifle shows post 1954 proofs, and appears to be 1964. Weapons Lend-Leased to England from the U.S. had to go through the same proofing when released by the British government before they could be sold commercially.

The firearm was probably purchased by a British arms dealer, and imported into England where it had to be proofed in order to be sold.
                Thank you. The information posted here is definitely painting a better picture for me as to what I have. What the rifle lacks in WW2 lineage, it makes up for with the interesting backstory. The best part is that apart from a dinged up stock, the rifle is mechanically excellent, no wear to the bore or bolt face whatsoever. It should make a good shooter.

Thank you all who posted.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X