Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel Carrier Query

Good evening guys,

Any info on the barrel carrier as pictured would be welcome. Scratching my head on this one.

Single rolled seam to one side, wrap over lids both ends with buckle fastener, leather hinges for the lids. Wooden insert with a flip round lid inside.

Can't be MG08 as the sockets are round and the maxim style breeching piece is square, not like any MG13 that I have seen, MG15??

Is it some post war type of thing?
    Attached Files

How about more complete and detailed pics...just for us to know what we have.

Carles

Comment

second pic

here you go Carles but that's all ive got.
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't know this model. Not for MG13 nor 15 either. I would think it is not German..or at least not WWII issue. No stamps?

Carles

Comment

FWIW I don't know what it is either. Doesn't look German to me....

Comment

Hi guys,

I can confirm no markings, it is close to german kit but then its a barrel carrier so go figure...............what shape would it be

Close look at the pic shows base metal could be phosphate or galvo type finish......but why would anyone use leather for hinges post war?

Oh well it remains an unknown, as an aside the earliest doppel laufbehalter I have seen was a 38 switz made.

Any one seen an earlier one as per vol 2 of volks book on MG,s? No date or manufacturer mentioned in the caption.

Regards

Comment

Approximately what length barrel would faint into the carrier? He oval shape means that there are two storage holes. What is the side of the other hole? Possibly. For cleaning rod, or another barrel.
              Barrel length will give good idea if what type barrels fit. Maxim, Dreyse, MG13 barrels are all 24" plus or minus. MG15, Schwarzlose, etc shorter.
              Please post this info.......

Comment

Forgot to ask for soMe pics of the top of the carrier with the cover fully open and of both ends. TIA

Comment

Originally posted by bmg17a1 View Post
                  Forgot to ask for soMe pics of the top of the carrier with the cover fully open and of both ends. TIA
                  I will check but I don't think I have furthur pics of this, saw one in UK once last year.

Single hole each end with an internal flat pivoting cap secured with a basic wood screw, ie 1 barrel in each end opposite to each other. Hole is round so sort of rules out the maxim kit as I believe all of the breaching pieces are rectangular.

No apparent carry strap either.

I will try to find out dims.

Regards

Tim

Comment

Hi guys,

Length is apparently 59cm, and the diameter of the barrel socket is 3.5 cm.

This I would consider to be too short for an MG 34 barrel, and you would not get one in the barrel socket as the barrel extension piece is larger than 3.5 cm.

I have no idea what this is for at all.

Regards

Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X