Sauer 38h disassembly problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sauer 38h disassembly problem

Hi guys, I have this Sauer 38h commercial model(yes, it's been chromed, yes, I know it's ruined from a collectors standpoint, I just like to shoot it), and I can't get it to come apart. I can see that it looks like I've engaged the takedown part correctly, but the slide won't lift off the frame of the pistol for some reason. I've had it apart before and had a hard time getting the slide and frame to match up correctly at first, but I got it and it functions great honestly. The recoil spring seems to be really strong, which makes me wonder if thats part of the issue. It's not a huge deal since it functions fine, but I'd like to be able to take it apart and clean it.
    Attached Files

As the pistol was completely disassembled for the plating whenever it was done, I would first check if the takedown detent retainer was fully screwed in, thus allowing the detent to fully drop in order to clear the slide for removal. If that little assembly got plated, that will probably be the source of this problem.

Comment

The only other possibility is if there is a barrel bulge that could have occurred after the plating.
      Bill

Comment

Thanks fellas, I want to reiterate that I have had this pistol apart before, and recently. Is there another way to get the slide off besides the takedown lever?

Comment

Originally posted by doomtown View Post
          Thanks fellas, I want to reiterate that I have had this pistol apart before, and recently. Is there another way to get the slide off besides the takedown lever?
          From your pics, the takedown latch is not down far enough, and is blocking the slide from fully retracting in order to pull it up and off.

Try pulling the latch further down.

There is no other way I know of to remove the slide.

Comment

Thanks Herd, you are completely correct. I watched a video where a guy takes his 38h apart and I thought that I had the takedown latch far down enough, but after re-watching the video it's only about halfway down as far as it needs to be. I'm not sure what to do besides trying to oil the spring and takedown latch. I really appreciate you guys answering, I hope I don't have to take this pistol to a gunsmith, but maybe I'll have to.

Comment

Just remove the detent 3 piece assembly. What looks like a screw with a pin in the center in the front of the triggerguard will unscrew. Then the detent, spring, and retainer will come out. The takedown latch should be able to be completely lowered, to remove the slide.

Comment

Gosh, I took the detent out and I still can't seem to get it to come loose. I took a picture of what mine looks like and a pic from a video showing the pistol coming apart and how far the detent should come down. Maybe I'm missing something super simple, I have no mag in the pistol, I pull the detent down, pull the slide back, and then up and it should be field stripped, correct?

Comment

forgot my pics
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by doomtown View Post
                    Gosh, I took the detent out and I still can't seem to get it to come loose. I took a picture of what mine looks like and a pic from a video showing the pistol coming apart and how far the detent should come down. Maybe I'm missing something super simple, I have no mag in the pistol, I pull the detent down, pull the slide back, and then up and it should be field stripped, correct?
                    Yep, there shouldn't be anything other than the takedown latch to prevent disassembly.

Comment

Just wanted to bump this thread up. I am having EXACTLY the same problem with a 38h. The take-down catch will not come far enough out of the frame to clear the slide. Removing the detent, spring, and screw did not help. The catch does not seem bound up. It moves quite freely...until it stops. I can't figure out what is preventing further movement. Any ideas?

Comment

Someone could replace the spring with too thick wire and it may prevent displacement lock up the rear

if we manage to take off the top, then try to dismantle non-spring return

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X