German pistols used by Norwegian police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German pistols used by Norwegian police

After WWII, the Norwegian police utilized handguns captured from German forces in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1Norway</ST1</st1:country-region>. These pistols were stamped with "POLITI" and a four-digit property number on a milled out section on slide with number repeated on lower frame.
    Reportedly, these pistols included Mausers, Walthers, Sauers, CZ27s and others. Does anyone have information and/or photos regarding these POLITI marked pistols?

There is a crate of P-38 and P-08 together with g33-40 rifles on my brothers policestation. It belonges to the sportsection in the police but it really have dusted in the basement since the early 70.
    yeah, I`ve tried

Comment

It would be very interesting to find out if these P08 and P38 pistols were marked "POLITI" for use by the Norwegian police forces. These are both 9mm, and the information I have is that the police adopted only 7.65mm pistols.

Comment

Many years ago I used to collect Politi marked Norwegian police pistols. I discovered that after the war, the Norwegians had bins of Nazi pistols. The police procured them out of the bins, and numbered them in the order that they were removed from the bins.

So all the Mauser .32acp's are in the same politi number block. The browning 1922's in another, Cz 27's in another, and so on.

The only pistols I have seen other than the 32acp's with politi markings are some RARE double barrel Stainless Nazi Kreigsmarine flareguns, also in a separate politi number block.

I am basing these observations on ~ 100+ pistols I have run accross over the years. That does not mean there are not rifles, or other weapons so marked. I just have not seen any.

Good Collecting, signalman

Always want odd and unusual flareguns and accessories.

Comment

signalman:
          Your information is outstanding...exactly what I was looking for!
          I note that thirteen Mauser HSc's are in the the 5000 property number range, a Mauser 1914 in the 4000 range and two Dreyse 1907 pistols in the 6000 range! Have you ever encountered any PP or PPK pistols with this Norwegian police designation? Importantly, did you keep a detailed record of your POLITI collection?
          Hopefully, we'll get reports/photos of other types of pistols!
          Regards,
          Adler

Comment

Photo of the markings on a Mauser 1914 that is for sale at an online retailer.

Comment

Here are the handguns used by the norwegian police before and after WWII.
              No P.08 or P.38 was used.

7 ,5mm Nagant M.1893 from 1920-1945
              9mm Neuhausen P.210
              Cal.38 S&W Special Masterpiece M.14, K-38 Ca.1960
              7,65mm Browning M.1910 from 1945-1978
              7,65mm Browning M.1922 from 1945-1978
              7,65mm Mauser M.HSc from 1945-1978
              7,65mm Mauser M.1914 from 1945-1978
              7,65mm Mauser M.1934 from 1945-1978
              6,35mm Mauser M.1910 from 1945-1978
              7,65mm CZ vz27 from 1945-1978
              7,65mm Walther PP from 1945-1978
              7,65mm Walther PPk from 1945-1978
              Cal.38 S&W Special Mod.10, 27 og 36. 1976
              Cal.22 S&W Mod.18. 1976

Comment

Norwegian police

Thanks for the informative list of pistols used by the Norwegian police!
                I've identified two other pistols with the POLITI markings: Dreyse 1907
                (I have photos) and the Hungarian Femaru.
                Would you have any photos showing the POLITI and property numbers on any of these pistols?

Comment

Pender's book on Mauser Pocket Pistols list several HSc pistols with post-WWII Norwegian Politi markings in the 5xxx range as well as a few Mauser 1914s in the 4xxx range. He noted and showed in photos that the frames of the pistol were numbered also with the same four digit issue number as found on the receiver. I don't recall ever hearing of Politi marked Walther PP or PPK pistols.

Comment

I just phoned my relative and he confirmed the P-38 and P-08`s still laying in the basement together with a stock of G33-40.

Remember that this belonges to the police sporting dept. and has not been used since early 70`s.

If it was issued to the police or not during service I do not know, I have not stated so either.

It is a fact that some police stations here in Norway have some old ww2 weapons. In my town they still have a bunch of us carabines to the police reserve.

Comment

Pistols used by Norwegian police

Originally posted by Jaegermeister
                      Here are the handguns used by the norwegian police before and after WWII.
                      No P.08 or P.38 was used.

7 ,5mm Nagant M.1893 from 1920-1945
                      9mm Neuhausen P.210
                      Cal.38 S&W Special Masterpiece M.14, K-38 Ca.1960
                      7,65mm Browning M.1910 from 1945-1978
                      7,65mm Browning M.1922 from 1945-1978
                      7,65mm Mauser M.HSc from 1945-1978
                      7,65mm Mauser M.1914 from 1945-1978
                      7,65mm Mauser M.1934 from 1945-1978
                      6,35mm Mauser M.1910 from 1945-1978
                      7,65mm CZ vz27 from 1945-1978
                      7,65mm Walther PP from 1945-1978
                      7,65mm Walther PPk from 1945-1978
                      Cal.38 S&W Special Mod.10, 27 og 36. 1976
                      Cal.22 S&W Mod.18. 1976
                      There is more to such a list.
                      Norwegian police used a limited number of Walther PPs before WWII (Statspolitiet) and also many different other guns. Before 1936 it was the local municipalities which was responsible for the police equipment.

During WWII the N police in occupied Norway used PP's, Mauser M34, Norw Colt 1914 and others.

After WWII they did use a lot of different ex-German guns. In 9 mm p08.s P38's, C96 and P35 radom and proberly others. They also used swedish M40 coming with the police troops from Sweden. Theese guns had no special police markings.

The POLITI + number marking is a post WWII feature and was used on most but not all .32/ 7, 65 caliber pistols. In addition to your list; at least MAB model D, and proberly also Hungerian M37

The POLITI marking was also used on G33/40 rifles, Swedish M 37-39 smg and German MG 13. Also on flare guns of different German and Norwegian types.

There are more to add. The Norw police used a lot of different guns and a list over all is long and difficult to make.

However I think most of the Ex-German WWII guns are covered now. I might mention that also M98KF1 rifles (F1 means rebarreled to 3006) and small Browning .25's was in use.

BTW I've never heard of SIG P 210 beeing used as a police gun in Norway. Sig 226 is currently in limited use.

Comment

Norwegian police

ketil:
                        Thank you for providing all the great information that many collectors will find interesting!
                        I'm looking for photos of the more common German WWII pistols showing the POLITI plus number. Do you have any such photos?

Comment

Norwegian police markings

Hochadler,

I don't have any photos just now. None of the 9 mm were marked with POLITI. In my own collection I have a couple of Mauser M1934, and one M1914 with POLITI marking. Besides I have a couple of postwar PP's with POLITI. I think thats what you can call common German pistols. Also I have CZ27, Browning M1910 and M1910/22 with POLITI marking and a dbl barreld German L flare pistol. If you like I can take pics of theese markings.

Ketil

Comment

Politi pistols

Ketil:
                            I just sent you a Private Message.
                            Peter

Comment

Hello, Sorry, but all my notes were lost in one of my moves. I do seem to remember either a walther pp or ppk with the Politi police markings many years ago, I think it was Syd Rachwal who was the dealer, but it was a long time ago, and it was the only one I saw.

I did own a Browning 1922, French Unique, French Mab, Mauser Hsc, Mauser 1934, Mauser 1914, and Cz 27, SLD Stainless Steel 2 Barrel Walther flaregun, and remember seeing a Hungarian Femaru, and the Walther mentioned above. Since I had owned 9 different guns at the time, I am forgetting one of them.

They were all .32acp except the flare pistol. I know of no P-38 or Lugers so marked.

Good Collecting, signalman

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X