All Matching 1941 AR K98K for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Matching 1941 AR K98K for review

Here we have an 1941 ar code all matching K98k for review. No import marks and I was told that the strap is also original. The seller is asking for $1500 US. I'm sorry that the pictures are blurry but I'm requesting better ones. Thank you so much for your help!

12421484_01_k98_640.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mp40Bran; 09-06-2020, 12:35 PM.

Assuming nothing has been post war renumbered I think that the asking price is about market so it’s ok if it is one that you want to keep. Plus side is all matching and pretty early and period condition. It does have a lot of finish wear as most all really used for several years will show

Comment

This is what the seller said. He can’t find any solid marks on the wood. “Please see the attached, and you can make out the 9942 on the inside of the hand guard. There might be an eagle on the underside of the stock just beyond the pistol grip. With flour, I could almost make it out, but you will have to decide. Also, there are the numbers 3.33.40 printed on the stock beneath the butt plate which I removed. Looks like two initials are there as well, and might just be the stock manufacturer's inspection mark”
      Attached Files

Comment

The stock will be numbered in the barrel channel. If you have removed the hand guard you have done the “hard part”. The wood and metal are well worn.

Comment

Thanks for your help! So do you think the wood/stock is authentic? Does the K98k have to have a eagle stamp and numbers on the side?

Comment

Metal is quite worn in comparison to the stock....I had a '37 Borsigwalde with similar metal and stock had literally had the snot beat out of it....Stock should have at least an Army acceptance stamp by the bolt take down disk....Odd too are good it (stock) should be externally serial #'d....Could be wood has been cleaned...Recoil lug is also in backwards, which may signify another reason to be concerned...Bodes

Comment

A friend had a 1941 AR in his collection and it was the most heavily serial numbered Kar98k that I ever saw, even the cleaning rod was matching. Both the stock and handguard were serial numbered. I cannot say for certain but I suspect this stock did not leave the factory with this rifle. I suppose it could have been added later in the war by an armorer, I do not know.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help and wisdom! I agree I’m going to pass on this one. The seller can’t find clear serial numbers on the wood.

Comment

This is what the seller said though "From the serial number, this rifle was made early 1941, before they began using the cupped butt plate. It was 9,942 and part of the first block of 10,000. The only serialized part of the stock was the hand guard, and I sent you that photo. The number under the flat butt plate indicates machine number 3 in the 33rd week of 1940”.

What do you guys think? Still a arsenal stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Mp40Bran View Post
                    This is what the seller said though "From the serial number, this rifle was made early 1941, before they began using the cupped butt plate. It was 9,942 and part of the first block of 10,000. The only serialized part of the stock was the hand guard, and I sent you that photo. The number under the flat butt plate indicates machine number 3 in the 33rd week of 1940”.

What do you guys think? Still a arsenal stock?
                    I would find it strange that the butt stock is not numbered in the barrel groove...That (and the earlier date on the stock blank) would tell us it's likely the factory issued one....Even if the butt stock were an armorer's replacement, they would have numbered the exterior....Just out of curiosity, is the front sight cut for a hood?....Bodes

Comment

Thanks Bodes! I can't tell from the pictures of the front sight is cut for a hood. Here are pictures of the stock. I still can't see the numbers on the hand guard.
                      Attached Files

Comment

No finish left on the metal? $1,500? Overpriced, in my opinion, even if 100%, but the stock doesn't match the condition of the metal.

Comment

Looks like the stock is matching! This is a picture from the barrel channel. Since it has been confirmed all matching do you think its worth the pick up? In my area of the U.S you can rarely find a matching K98k for under $2,500.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mp40Bran; 09-07-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

The stock in the last group of photos show the ghosts of the correct stamps on the right side. I suspected the stock was matched as for me the worn condition of the wood does match the condition of the metal and the fact that those lamented flat buttplate stocks were only used about 2-3 years and then not universally so getting one this correct for that make and date would not be easy! All moot now that the serial number is revealed. Value is subjective but I think 1500 on one of this date, make and condition is ballpark these days. Put another 500 with it and you should find an 80-90% blue and stronger stamps and wood condition. That’s my 2 cents. One more cent says that it is a big difference finding a 1941 or earlier than a 43 or 44 date, those seem to me to be about 75% of what is offered today

Comment

Mp40Bran, Might I suggest you find somebody at any of your local gunshows to help tutor you when it comes to looking for what is of higher collectability....That is how I got started....I would hit some of the bigger military/gunshows and levitate towards displays of what it was that I liked...Over time, I met and developed relationships with knowledgeable people who helped me out....They saved me lots of money and frustration by telling me what was good, and what was bad....You could also let them know what it is you're looking for, and see if they would look for something for you to buy....Some don't mind, because that way they can make money in the process....

I would agree with what Phil recommended....Look for something in better condition, even if the price is higher....Quality will always sell, average will move along slowly....And don't get too hung up on online auction prices, as they are often inflated and mask as to what are realistic evaluations....Just my .02....Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X