Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZB30j / MG30(j) markings

Hi,

a short time ago I buy a ZB 30j (M37) blocked in semi-auto. Unfortunately without WaAs, but I found 2 Markings on it who i didn't know what they mean.
    On the bolt, the bolt carrier and on the pistol grip is an HK marking in a circle. In a forgotten Weapons video on youtube, they said this stands for Heinrich Krieghoff.
    The other marking is several times on the gun. Please see the atached Photo. Know anyone what these markings mean, and had another source for the HK stamp?

Thank you very much.

Best regards
    Michael
    Attached Files

Is this the HK marking you are asking about? My understanding is that, although this marking resembles one or more of the encircled "HK" logos used by the German firm Heinrich Krieghoff during the III Reich era, that it is not the same marking and that Krieghoff had nothing to do with the zb series MG's. The key point on this issue being that the marking are different, plus you can find the enclosed "HK" marking on pre-WWII zb26 MG's . . . . . i.e. during a time frame when Krieghoff is not alleged to have had any relationship to the zb series weapons production.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, on the magazines (with WaA63) i have these kind of HK stamp. On the Zb the HK stamp has separated letters.
      I also found an MK with letters who put together under the top dust cover (and what i think the czech lion?).
      Please see the Photos.

thanks
      Michael
      Attached Files

Comment

Michael,

Yes - that is very interesting on the "HK" markings and you are correct: for sure a different "HK" logo design on the magazines than the "HK" found on the gun itself. Clearly, we have a lot to investigate andlearn about these very interesting Zb weapons and the WWII German useage of them.

You seem to be keen on Zb machine gun markings, so I'll toss in a few markings found on a Zb26 that I have. It is a pre-war Czech army contract gun that appears to have had III Reich-era German military markings added to it. This is a live and legally registered MG here in the states; brought into the the US as a veteran's war trophy in 1945. I plan on starting a separate thread devoted to this particular Zb26, but have not yet gotten around to it. So, assuming it is not an unwarranted intrusion into your Zb30 thread, I'll add a few photos of the markings in question to solicit any input you and/or others may have. In particular, I am very curious as to whether any Zb26's with similar markings have been observed by our European collector friends.

BTW: I apologize for the white colored paint that has been added in an attempt to highlight the markings; this was done by a prior owner and I have not yet removed the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
          Michael,

You seem to be keen on Zb machine gun markings,
          Yes, but not only for the Zbs. Whenever I get a new gun i like to research about the markings / history.

Very nice Zb do you have, thank you for the photos.

Best Regards Michael

Comment

Strange doubble WaA63 on magazine, normally it should be only one time proofed when CS so E3 lion 3x or then with german proof. The HK i have heard is Brno kontrol mark, was used for some time.

Comment

Yes the HK on the ZB guns has absolutely nothing to do with Krieghoff. It is a standard Czech marking which appears on prewar guns as well as wartime guns and the marking is different than the marking used by Krieghoff. Just an attempt to run up the value of an ordinary item, which was passed on in the form of misinformation to hearsay-experts.

Comment

delete
                Last edited by wandering38; 09-05-2020, 03:46 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

Originally posted by wandering38 View Post
                  delete
                  That HK marking on the ZB mag is also found on the Bren Magazines manufactured for the Irish Army Contract Pre War. I have some with the Bren i have. In addition mag is stamped FF for acceptance into irish service. Quality is excellent and typical of manufacture of that time, blued and not suncorite as per brit issue. Guns accepted and stamped 37.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X