Luger magazine help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luger magazine help

I just got this mag because the number is very close to my droop eagle G date, but I wonder about authenticity. Logo alignment is poor and the numbers seem way too small, is this an acceptable variation? Also the follower looks very new like it has never supported a bullet. The body is magnetic, the base is not. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this piece!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by itchyjoe; 08-28-2020, 02:54 PM.

IMO 100% correct and untouched. The numbering was not machine done perfect, this one is what you want to see in an original. Bottom is aluminum and body is nickel plated steel. Follower is fine.

Comment

Many thanks, phild!

Comment

Just to compare, mine is also from an G P.08
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice k98, and number matched to your gun! The Germans being so meticulous otherwise, I was a bit surprised to see different script size/placement and even a little out of line. Apparently OK with P 08 magazines.

Comment

The magazine shown by K98 is typical of Mauser P.08 magazines. Draw a line through the first digit, and it lines up with the side of the magazine.

This is a single matching magazine 1939 42 code, with the same serial number alignment on K98's magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Peppers View Post
              The magazine shown by K98 is typical of Mauser P.08 magazines. Draw a line through the first digit, and it lines up with the side of the magazine.

This is a single matching magazine 1939 42 code, with the same serial number alignment on K98's magazine.

Wow Johnny,
              Are you sure this is not restamped, It just somehow doesn't look like the real deal.

Comment

I think that it is okay. I’ll also add that although I think that the OP mag is an original numbering, it is a typical in the extreme regarding the offset of the number and the lack of spacing between digits. The die used for the “4”s is distinct and I think correct for K date and earlier G date but I’m not sure used as late as e block. Bottom line is a simply see no evidence of it being monkeyed with in the photos.

Folks need to really understand that renumbering Luger mags and K98k bolts (and Colt wedges and everything else) was nothing short of a cottage industry in the US by certainly the mid 1970s. It got even more widespread and sophisticated every decade after that so we have now had 50 years of these things being re-numbered to include fake WaA stamps

Comment

Originally posted by swjXE View Post

Wow Johnny,
                  Are you sure this is not restamped, It just somehow doesn't look like the real deal.
                  I was the second owner after the vet, so know it's history. The picture had to be lightened somewhat causing the slightly overexposed look.

In your expert opinion what do you see wrong?

Comment

In regards to magazine 1196r.
                    The font of the number 1 is not factory original. It is quite possible the magazine was restamped later in the war to match the Luger by an armory. Here is 1110r, only 86 guns earlier and both from 1939. Compare the number 1's.
                    Magazine 4064e is 100% correct.
                    r 1110 (Medium).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Peppers View Post

I was the second owner after the vet, so know it's history. The picture had to be lightened somewhat causing the slightly overexposed look.

In your expert opinion what do you see wrong?
                      I'm probably wrong Johnny. I can't even put my finger on what looks odd about this mag. Somehow it just looks different from the others I've seen. Maybe it's just been polished or something.

Comment

The pistol came as a rig, with a 1939 dated holster, a mis-match tool, a 42 stamped replacement magazine, and the magazine shown. If the person had the ability to restamp magazines you would wonder why they didn't make a two matching mag rig.

Comment

Here is another original for reference; numbers are a bit “out of wack”.

Comment

Just noticed this one in my stash; same letter block as the OP mag.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X