byf 42 P38 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

byf 42 P38 Question

I found a early byf 42 P38 (7238, no letter block) last week and while it has all matching numbers including the locking block there is something a bit "off" about it.

Most of the parts that should be marked 135 are but the dust cover, safety/decocker, and slid release are all marked 359 (Walther). Also the mag is marked 359 and is numbered to the pistol as opposed to a 135 and no numbering you would think it should be.

All the "odd" parts have the same patina as the rest of the pistol but I know that does not mean all that much on a 78 year old P38.

I was wondering if those 359 parts were provided by Walther during the early byf 42 P38 production of if they were just replacement parts put on later.

I only have $400.00 in it so it's not like I think there was something nefarious going on, just odd that so many parts that you really don't see replaced that much are Walther 359 marked parts.

I only have a matching byf 44 P38 to go by but none of those parts that were marked 359 on the byf 42 were marked at all on that example except the 135 marked magazine.

Attached Files

I believe it's a correct as issued pistol. Since BYF42 was the first year of Mauser P-38 production it seems logical that Walther would have stated them off by giving them some small parts to begin production.

Comment

Typically, you would find all Mauser parts on a 42 BYF, however, they may have had Walther parts in the bins. It's my opinion that those parts may have been swapped out post war. The mag is nefarious.

Comment

Originally posted by tiapat View Post
        Typically, you would find all Mauser parts on a 42 BYF, however, they may have had Walther parts in the bins. It's my opinion that those parts may have been swapped out post war. The mag is nefarious.
        I can't say one way or the other about the nefariousness of the mag but it's of little consequence as I have a couple 135 marked mags I can slide right in.

I really don't care about the small parts all that much. More curious than anything else. In fact i have a spare mag release and safety that came off a deactivated byf-43 but since the finish looks different I'll just leave the 359 parts on it. It's still a numbers matching pistol and that is really all that matters to me.

Oh, I did find a hlv 43 hard-shell holster for it.

Attached Files

Comment

I don't have my books with me, but as you know this is an early Mauser production P38, first year of production. If memory serves me correct Walther provided technical assistance and parts to get started as well. This would explain the 359/Walther parts. Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisCook View Post
            I don't have my books with me, but as you know this is an early Mauser production P38, first year of production. If memory serves me correct Walther provided technical assistance and parts to get started as well. This would explain the 359/Walther parts. Chris...
            I know Walther helped Spreewerk with parts in their start-up but I don't know about Mauser. If you can, check your books and see, I'd like to know.

Comment

Pistol looks totally fine and I would not be concerned about the WaAs.... as noted this is a very early Mauser pistol so Walther parts make sense

Comment

Originally posted by zimmerit View Post
                Pistol looks totally fine and I would not be concerned about the WaAs.... as noted this is a very early Mauser pistol so Walther parts make sense
                Yeah, I'm of the same mind but sadly you know as well as i do that unless it's written down somewhere it never happened.

Comment

This gun should have a "dusty" blue, that is a bit sandblasted looking and dull. I've never seen a byf 42 with Walther parts tho. Byf 42s are rare and worth a good premium. show it to a P38 guy and they should be able to tell if the gun looks right. Then just replace the 359 parts with 135 parts.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X