Blueing methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blueing methods

Were Wertmacht rifles hot blued after about 1937?This just a question I wonder on.I have a Mauser Sporter that I built from an action I bought years ago,though long ago reworked there are still clues as to the various parts histories,it seems the lifter and spring are Wertmacht and eagle stamped,the bolt shroud has a number 50 on the edge ,top of the gas shield that looks German however there is a tiny crossed hammer stamp on the left side also,this is a mark used by Tula arsenal according to my book of gun marks,the firing pin and bolt stryker have squares or diamond marks ,I have no info on these.the original floorplates was a reworked and customized Wertmacht made into a hinged style as was the trigger guard mag.the bolt was sporterized ,nicely,all the work was well done and I eventually found it,bought it and put it all together into a Sporter / long range rifle,which is actually a very capable 30/06, however I began attempting to trace the various histories of the parts out of curiosity,and thought to come here for help.meager clues ,I know but interesting.
    The story continues to build,as there were inadequacies in the trigger guard due to just too much reworking over the years I recently had to( last night) fit a new trigger guard to it which appears to be Ww2 but no waffenampts only a serial number is evident,so far.it does have capture screws ,if that helps,the story continues,heh?
    If anyone can add to my knowledge on these marks please chime in,the bolt seems to have the remnant of a mark but could just be a handling mark well rubbed out ,it's not in a area normally stamped.
    I am sure this may be just a Mish mash of parts to some but like a group of people each has a story,and as I have heard here before if they could speak ,I would have a whole book!
    This rifle upholds the name proudly as it is capable with handloads of 10 rounds in well under moa,my last group the other day was 6 shots in .560.

I thought for sure someone here would be able to answer my primary question on Mauser bluing methods,this being quite an esteemed source for such knowledge.

Comment

I’m not sure on k98ks. I know some German manufacturers were using hot blue on some firearms as early as the late 1920s. I would believe that the type of finish was specified in the contract and when it changed (as with Mauser P08 finish in early-mid 1937) that had to be prior approved by the ordnance department contracts authorities.

My guess is that they switched around the same time as they did with the Lugers but I do not know that for a fact. It is very difficult for me in many cases to simply look at firearm and tell the difference between cold rust blue and hot dip blue. One way that is a good clue is that generally inside surfaces will not be blued when finished with a cold rust method. Generally the only inside surfaces on a k98k are inside the bands, inside receiver and the mag housing.

Comment

Yes hot blued.
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Rust blue is sufficient as,believe or not cold rust blue leads people to thinking of cold blue,but you are correct in that with rust blueing only surfaces wiped with the solution are rusted then blued and generally only easily accessible areas otherwise you can't do a smooth wipe,and this leads to sloth,streaked blue,I do rust blueing and it is sometimes hard to see the difference.,thanks for your input

Comment

While the Lugers were still being rust blued, the interior parts were polished back to bright after the bluing was completed. I have a .30 caliber Mauser commercial Luger built on a 42 dated receiver that is hot salt blued, but in the old tradition the interior is polished back to bright.

Springfield Armory rust blued the Model 1911 pistols they manufactured, and did an excellent job of covering the interior.

Comment

What a beauty Johnny!
              Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Thanks. It came in a G.O holster, but I could never find a connection to a General.

Comment

Sweet,my favorite sidearm!

Comment

Wow Johnny that 1911 is amazing. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X