German soldiers what rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German soldiers what rifle?

Not much of a photo to go on, but can anyone tell me what sort of rifle the soldier on the left is carrying?

Capture.jpg

Vz24...Bodes

Comment

It looks like it has a sleeve mounted front sight (also big ears, on the sight not the soldier!) if so I would think this to be a Polish Wz 29 type of rifle

Comment

It looks a little short for a VZ24 and it looks like it it missing all of those sling mounts on it. It also looks like a long Magazine with metal out of the bottom. What about a Gewehr88?

Comment

Based on the last suggestion I relooked the photo and agree with some of the points made. I now lean toward this being some kind of Mannlicher carbine as the probable candidate. Bolt handle would fit that and also appears to have a stacking hook rather than a rod. Front sight is not like other Mannlichers I’ve seen but very difficult to be conclusive from this photo

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
            Based on the last suggestion I relooked the photo and agree with some of the points made. I now lean toward this being some kind of Mannlicher carbine as the probable candidate. Bolt handle would fit that and also appears to have a stacking hook rather than a rod. Front sight is not like other Mannlichers I’ve seen but very difficult to be conclusive from this photo
            To me looks like straight pull also. Look closely at bolt in rear of receiver.

Comment

Looks like a Straight Pull Steyr M-95 to me. BILL

Comment

It could be so as the right soldier has a M95 type pouches, with sight ears it could be M95/30 Stutzen Karabiner.

Comment

Thanks! I believe this was taken on the Swiss/Austrian, or possibly Swiss/Italian (South Tirol) border. Steyr M-95 seems to make sense.

Comment

I’m more baffled by what appears to be dark cloth strips or long patches on the greatcoat sleeves. It looks too me like both soldiers have these.

Comment

I think the dark strips on the soldiers' uniforms are shadows cast by the fence posts for the barbed wire fence that is evident in the photo. Yes - I noticed the strips as well as was at first baffled by them!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                        I think the dark strips on the soldiers' uniforms are shadows cast by the fence posts for the barbed wire fence that is evident in the photo. Yes - I noticed the strips as well as was at first baffled by them!
                        Agree, the shadow on the left appearing to be the same one shading the bottom half of the man's rifle.....Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X