MG34 Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MG34 Info

I have had this MG34 in my collection for a good 12 years now. I wanted to get some more information on it and what some of the markings are exactly to be sure.

I have for many years know its Berliner Suhler Waffen Gustloff made in 1941. The serial 1491 matches the correct range also. This i double checked before posting on https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...umber-database which was a very informative post of information. I also found out the breech cover appears to be Rheinmetal Berlin from period 1937-39 so clearly added at some time. Re-numbered to the serial.

There are a few markings on it though i am not sure on and wanted see if someone with a far greater knowledge could tell me a few things on it. I see on there by the year a Triangle i am a bit lost as to what this may indicate.I also notices a backwards C it appears to be and K next to each other below (just) the WaA stamps. There is also a p41 next to the dfb i have for many years wondered on this one. I am guessing this was added after the war at some point.

I am quite lucky that this one also splits so you can see the barrel change although being in the UK it is sad that the barrel has been welded in. Posted some more pictures so the whole thing can be seen to add some more context or info needed.

Please excuse the AA mount ring this is an old pitted one someone gave me to use with an AA mount. I added the screws so i could mount it occasionally. I will be replacing that in due course.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Attached Files

Love the early milled top cover.
    Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
      Love the early milled top cover.
      In actual fact that top cover would appear to be one of the rarer milled covers. Most of them are BSW marked but i cant quite make out the logo on that one so would appreciate a better angle and a close up of the logo.
      Trigger group is also an early pattern milled for the regler system, but has the blanking plug installed instead of the change stud. Some electro pencil evident so would indicate it came out of the russian capture stocks.
      Nice condition in general but i cant help much with the additional markings around the receiver area.

Regards
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post

In actual fact that top cover would appear to be one of the rarer milled covers. Most of them are BSW marked but i cant quite make out the logo on that one so would appreciate a better angle and a close up of the logo.
        Trigger group is also an early pattern milled for the regler system, but has the blanking plug installed instead of the change stud. Some electro pencil evident so would indicate it came out of the russian capture stocks.
        Nice condition in general but i cant help much with the additional markings around the receiver area.

Regards
        Tim
        Thank you for the extra info Tim. Wasn't aware it was a rarer model. Knew it was one of the earlier ones. The gun is stored at my parents currently so won't be there until next weekend to take more pictures. The logo is the letter B in what i would describe as a star and a circle around that. I hope that helps in the interim.

Yes i was told when i brought this it was from Russia.

In regards to "but has the blanking plug installed instead of the change stud." does this effect value in anyway or desirability etc? More out of curiosity than anything. Its an interesting spot.

Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer_Lehr View Post

Thank you for the extra info Tim. Wasn't aware it was a rarer model. Knew it was one of the earlier ones. The gun is stored at my parents currently so won't be there until next weekend to take more pictures. The logo is the letter B in what i would describe as a star and a circle around that. I hope that helps in the interim.

Yes i was told when i brought this it was from Russia.

In regards to "but has the blanking plug installed instead of the change stud." does this effect value in anyway or desirability etc? More out of curiosity than anything. Its an interesting spot.

Thank you again.
          The logo you describe would be for Rhienmetall Borsig, They manufactured early types up to the "normal" ones we know of until 1939 ish. Makes sense with that logo although as i said it seems most milled covers are seen with the BSW markings.

Re the trigger group, the weapons originally had a clockwork style mechanism inside which was quite clever but complicated. It provided two rates of fire, fast and slow by using a push through selector. For some reason when they decided not to install it any more, they still machined all the inside for the mechanism. Problem of course is that if the stuff is not fitted it leaves a hole where muck can get in. Ergo they made the blanking plug. A strange thing was discovered by volk myrvang, if the blanking plug is installed the wrong way round the gun will not fire auto as i recall only single shot, full auto if correctly installed.

As a unit fitted to the weapon it would not in my eyes bring a change of value, however, if it were a spare trigger group being sold in its own right they seem to attract a higher price than a standard one.

If on inspecting the blanking plug it actually moves left and right and has letters engraved on the flat faces it might mean you have a rare part installed or god forbid a full set of cogs and things still inside the trigger group. Worth more AS ITS ALL EXCEDINGLY RARE. (the trigger group that is, in fact PM me immediatly!!!!!!!! )????

Regards

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post

The logo you describe would be for Rhienmetall Borsig, They manufactured early types up to the "normal" ones we know of until 1939 ish. Makes sense with that logo although as i said it seems most milled covers are seen with the BSW markings.

Re the trigger group, the weapons originally had a clockwork style mechanism inside which was quite clever but complicated. It provided two rates of fire, fast and slow by using a push through selector. For some reason when they decided not to install it any more, they still machined all the inside for the mechanism. Problem of course is that if the stuff is not fitted it leaves a hole where muck can get in. Ergo they made the blanking plug. A strange thing was discovered by volk myrvang, if the blanking plug is installed the wrong way round the gun will not fire auto as i recall only single shot, full auto if correctly installed.

As a unit fitted to the weapon it would not in my eyes bring a change of value, however, if it were a spare trigger group being sold in its own right they seem to attract a higher price than a standard one.

If on inspecting the blanking plug it actually moves left and right and has letters engraved on the flat faces it might mean you have a rare part installed or god forbid a full set of cogs and things still inside the trigger group. Worth more AS ITS ALL EXCEDINGLY RARE. (the trigger group that is, in fact PM me immediatly!!!!!!!! )????

Regards

Tim
            WOW thank you. That is very interesting and some great new information on the plug. I will have a look when i am with the gun at the weekend at my parents. I will be intrigued to see what more light it may shed.

The top is as you say Rheinmetall Borsig the MG34 database post i found confirms that which is nice. Interesting to hear its not as common maker on that type.

Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X