M1 Garand Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 Garand Help!

Here we have a Winchester "WIN-13" M1 Garand for review. After researching the serial numbers it seems to be all legit. However, I can't confirm if the barrel is correct for a "WIN - 13". I do see the W/P stamp and 2 on the barrel. To my understanding these are more on the rare side. The seller is asking for $3000 US. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you everyone for your help and wisdom!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mp40Bran; 06-28-2020, 05:37 PM.

More pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Stock cartouche is correct for that serial number range...It may just be me, but in spots the receiver and trigger guard finish look fresher than the stock...What is the barrel date?...Bodes

Comment

Thanks for your help! The only markings on the barrel are the W/P stamp with a 2 and 9 next to it. Looks like Most WIN-13s have the same markings with the W/P circle stamp and 2 but I'm not sure about the "9" marking on the barrel.

Comment

Winchester M1 Rifle barrels were not dated.

Something strange about that rifle. Serial number puts production in mid 1942, but it has the WIN-13 heat lot code. The WIN-13 rifles were made in 1945 in the 1605600 to 1640000 serial number range. Look at the receiver carefully as it may be a restored cut receiver.
          Last edited by Johnny Peppers; 06-28-2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

"The final contract for M1 rifle production was granted to Winchester in February 1945 and was a bit of a departure from the previous WRA contracts in several respects. This last production run of rifles was assigned the serial number range of 1,600,000-1,640,000. This was unusual because this serial number range is much lower than the prior block of serial numbers assigned to Winchester. This is an obvious departure from the typical practice of ascending serial numbers as production continued. In other words, these rifles have much lower serial numbers than Winchester M1 rifles manufactured months, or even a couple of years, earlier. These final contract Winchester M1 rifles also had the receiver drawing number changed from “D282591-2” to “D28291 WIN-13” and are referred to by collectors today as “WIN 13” rifles" Reference. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...hester-garand/

Comment

Haha whoops I accidentally posted the 1942 serial code from a different Garand. Here is the actual "Win-13" receiver.
              Attached Files

Comment

The first M1 Rifle receivers were torch cut to de-mil them, and sold as scrap iron. Enterprising dealers bought them and welded the two halves back together. The torch cuts were not uniform, and the dealer would find two halves long enough to saw cut to clean up the torch cut, and weld the halves back together. Whether by accident or design, the rifle in the original post ended up with a Winchester heel and a Winchester heat lot on the front half, just not the right one.

Later rifles were de-milled in a fashion that couldn't be restored.

Comment

Thanks for your help! So are you saying the the rifle looks to not be all original?

Comment

The rifle serial number originally shown would not have been correct, and would have been incorrect because of the information I posted. With the serial number shown in post #7 it would be correct.

Comment

Ok thank you for your help! Given the rarity and condition of this rifle do you guys believe it’s worth $3000 US?

Comment

It appears to be a restoration by putting the correct parts together, and the stock condition doesn't match the condition of the other parts. If you are a collector and have looked for years to find one to fill a gap in your collection you might want to buy it. If you are buying it just because it is a WIN-13 I would not pay that price considering the condition.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X