Walther PPK 1939 SS Contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walther PPK 1939 SS Contract?

My first post here, Havinrecently purchased my first PPK.

The serial number 248xxx K is found on the slide and frame, behind trigger guard. It came With a mismatched magazine with the serial number of 266xxx, with the number 1 under, on a flat bottom magazine with a lanyard ring.

My research, if correct, places the gun and the magazine in the correct serial number range, of known SS contract production. I think it is a 3rd variation PPK.

My questions are: if this is an SS contract gun, dated 1935 (1939?), why are there crown over N stamps on the chamber and on the frame and not Eagle over N and Waffenampts?

I have several P38 pistols and hope to add more PP and PPK’s to the family.

I’m old retired, U. S. Army officer and am always interested in being educated about historical MILSURP guns and militaria. I look forward to your comments.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Walthermeister; 05-31-2020, 01:05 AM. Reason: Correct date.

The change from crown N to eagle N happened in April 1940

Comment

If I recall correctly, RSHA/ SS contract PP/ PPK pistols were procured separately from all other production. Thus, no Waffenampts on RSHA/ SS pistols because they were not subject to military inspection.
      Last edited by scottr; 05-31-2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I assume that you have carefully read through the sticky thread on SS PPK at the top of this board. If the slide serial number is stamped below the muzzle on the front edge of the slide as shown in many of those photos it is an SS contract. Of course the other details have to also be present but that serial location is a simple starting point.

If usually police and security service firearms were purchased outside the military procurement system, as mentioned in a post above so we’re not military inspected. There are some exceptions to that practice however.

Comment

Walthermeister, what would be of help for you to post pictures of the pistol and also of the mag. It make it a lot easier to identify what it is you have. To me it sounds like you have a Walther PPK mfg.1939 and this would be correct having C/N as mentioned by zimmerit as for the mag. I am not sure is it marked on the spine or the floorplate. One issue to keep in mind, if you do not have a matching mag. it can not be for sure confirmed to be a RSHA/SS issued gun since the those to the best of my knowlage did not get issued in solid blocks. As mentioned the sticky's are full of a wealth of information.
          Happy Hunting!
          Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Walthermeister View Post

The serial number 248xxx K is found on the slide and frame, behind trigger guard. It came With a mismatched magazine with the serial number of 266xxx, with the number 1 under, on a flat bottom magazine with a lanyard ring.

My research, if correct, places the gun and the magazine in the correct serial number range, of known SS contract production. I think it is a 3rd variation PPK.

My questions are: if this is an SS contract gun, dated 1935 (1939?), why are there crown over N stamps on the chamber and on the frame and not Eagle over N and Waffenampts?

I’m old retired, U. S. Army officer and am always interested in being educated about historical MILSURP guns and militaria. I look forward to your comments.

Thanks all!
            Thank you for your service to our country!
            You have an SS procurred PPK for the RSHA (Reichssicherheitshauptamt. If you check out this link in this forum, it will explain things.
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=444048
            Yours is a Variation 5 according to this list. The Crown/N proof mark was used until January 15,1940. I am not sure about the magazine you describe. Is there a K stamped after the serial number? A picture would help, as PPK magazines did not have lanyard loops, but were either flat bottom or with plastic finger extenstion.

Originally posted by zimmerit View Post
            The change from crown N to eagle N happened in April 1940
            The new Eagle/N proof mark began in use January 15, 1940.
            Originally posted by Peter Meyer View Post
            Walthermeister, what would be of help for you to post pictures of the pistol and also of the mag. It make it a lot easier to identify what it is you have. To me it sounds like you have a Walther PPK mfg.1939 and this would be correct having C/N as mentioned by zimmerit as for the mag. I am not sure is it marked on the spine or the floorplate. One issue to keep in mind, if you do not have a matching mag. it can not be for sure confirmed to be a RSHA/SS issued gun since the those to the best of my knowlage did not get issued in solid blocks. As mentioned the sticky's are full of a wealth of information.
            Happy Hunting!
            Peter
            Until the early 335,000K serial number, RSHA pistols were the only PPKs with serial number on the front right side of the slide or on the slide under the muzzel. With this characteristic, the pistol is positively RSHA with or without a matching numbered magazine.

Comment

Joe thank you for the further education.
              Happy Hunting!
              Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Walthermeister View Post

Thanks all!
                Walthermeister, welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. Your RSHA/SS issued PPK is estimated to be manufactured in late 1939.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X