Need help on WWII Rifle identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on WWII Rifle identification

Looking for ID for the following rifle. Photo was taken in France, 1944/1945. It looks like a German WWI Mauser 98, based on the length and front barrel band and rear sight - but, look how close the rear sight is to the receiver - quite close. Next, look at the size of the receiver chamber, far too small for a 7,92mm round (compared to the 9mm drum on the PPSh 41 next to it). Lastly, it does not have a bolt and the top of the rear receiver almost looks flat. So, what is it? Country and weapon type please.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Quest Master View Post
    Looking for ID for the following rifle. Photo was taken in France, 1944/1945. It looks like a German WWI Mauser 98, based on the length and front barrel band and rear sight - but, look how close the rear sight is to the receiver - quite close. Next, look at the size of the receiver chamber, far too small for a 7,92mm round (compared to the 9mm drum on the PPSh 41 next to it). Lastly, it does not have a bolt and the top of the rear receiver almost looks flat. So, what is it? Country and weapon type please.
    It looks to be a German Gew 98 with bolt cover. BILL

Comment

No, I don't think so. If it was a bolt cover and the chamber was open, the bolt would be pulled back, extending past the receiver - which it is not on this weapon. Plus, even though the photo is not the highest quality, I do not see a bolt handle (or shadow of it)

Comment

I've only come across a few but some G.98s were converted to .22 Cal. by the Reichswehr and this may well be one minus its bolt.

Comment

I believe it is a Gewehr 98 variant, but the ejection chamber is small. The .22 caliber trainers do not fit what this receiver looks like.

Comment

Perhaps a EL24 .22 subcal set normally used with 98k. Bolt could be missing. (Common to discard bolt if imminent danger of weapon being captured) or perhaps its there but poor quality of photo prevents Its being seen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X