griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sten MKi question - Where did they go? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sten MKi question - Where did they go? Why?

I'm in the process of putting together a replica of a Sten MK1, and so I've been doing some research. I've got a couple of questions.

The Sten MKI was tested in Jan 41, and produced for a short number of months until replaced by the cheaper, simpler, faster-made, but less-polished MKII in Aug of that same year. About 100,000 MKIs were made; far fewer compared to 2 million MKIIs, but twice as many Lanchester SMGs.

Well...where the hell did they all go? Looking around, there appear to be no more than a few functional examples in museums. I find a couple of reports that say the British Army declared them "obsolete" during the war, which I presume to mean they were removed from service...I'm not sure why, given that they appear to have been slightly superior to the MKII, which were evidently kept around or given out for some time. It doesn't seem likely they were all worn out or destroyed in combat, as there seem to be few reports or images of their use in battle outside of commando raids and North Africa. Presumably at some point the British Army had a number of them on hand. Were they all so thoroughly destroyed to such a point as to make them this rare? Why? The smaller production Lanchesters certainly aren't in such short supply.

Secondly, I don't know if I've quite unravelled the mystery of the front-end barrel retention with 100% certainty. It appears that the cone-shaped flash hider slipped over the barrel into some permanently attached retention ring on the end of the receiver, and then the flash hider was held in position by a couple of screws, which fit through a squared-off extension of the ring on the front, into notches along the sides of the hiders insert. Is this correct? If not, does anyone have a schematic, or even a crude drawing, of how exactly this arrangement worked?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr. Scratch; 05-22-2020, 07:51 PM.

That is a very good question. I think the MK 1 is the sexiest of all the Sten versions made. It has to be that they are out there in collectors hands who just arnt into showing them.

Comment

I wonder if the mk 1's were bundled up and dropped behind enemy lines to resistance groups at some stage as thousands and thousands of Stens were.

Comment

I have a picture of some German police men and one is using a sten mk1 but I cant post pictures as im not a paid member
        Last edited by iron cross 2; 05-23-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Okay, doing a bit more research, I may have found a partial answer answer. Naturally, the source is Peter Laidler's The Sten Machine Carbine.

Evidently in July of 43, the War Office recalled 237,000 Stens due to a manufacturing defect on the rolled tube receiver. For some reason the first 35,602 MKis were included in that recall, even though they had a solid drawn tube body and thus did not carry the defect.

So that is more than 30% of the production destroyed by War Office order, while the war is still quite on. That might go a ways to explaining the scarcity.

Comment

Originally posted by iron cross 2 View Post
            I have a picture of some German police men and one is using a sten mk1 but I cant post pictures as im not a paid member
            I thought non-paying members were able to post photos now. Do you see a paperclip-looking attachment button in the top row of your options field when you reply to a message? Just to the right of the "smileys" button?

Maybe have a look there, and see if it won't attach an image. I'd like to see that picture.

Anyway, the Germans used captured MKis for support positions, they designated the MP-748(e). (e) for Englisch.

Comment

Hi thanks I didnt know about that becasue before you couldnt do it

the 2nd right Police man has one you can see the underfolding front grip on his trousers

heres one also for sale in the uk ---- https://mjlmilitaria.com/extremely-r...-mk1-sten-gun/
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X