SVT 38 For Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVT 38 For Review

Here I have a SVT-38 for review. This is listed on Gunbroker currently. My main question is if it has been refinished? The seller is asking for $5000. It seems high but I know these are pretty rare. Thank you everyone for your help.
    Attached Files

Stock is definitely refinished

Comment

Even with a refinished stock 5,000 is too high right?

Comment

Is it a Finnish re-work?

Comment

I don’t see an SA where I’d expect to.

Comment

Buttplate is Finnish used. I would expect to see more SA stamps besides the buttplate. Most likely completely overhauled gun postwar using random parts to put these back together (which was done to the majority of Soviet guns). Sling is also postwar.

Comment

I think that the SA stamp is on the mag floor plate and not the butt plate. It should be SA on left side receiver if a Finnish capture. Either way it looks reblued and stock is refinished. The Finns often did both procedures on captured rifles as well as matched parts or in some cases simply removed mismatched numbers. I have never liked the term forced matched as it has no meaning. Sometimes parts are renumbered simply to match, usually by “collectors” but in most Arsenal rebuilds the parts are actually checked with gauges, fitted if necessary and carefully used just like when the firearm was originally assembled, from bins of parts no less.
              Bottom line is IMO this rifle is too expensive for a “restoration”.

Comment

Thank you for your help! For sure going to pass on this.

Comment

Refinished gun and magazine is from SVT40

Jack

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X