Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC44 G43 Fresh from the woodwork

Hi all,

I just picked up this G43 from the son in law of the vet that liberated it. Not much of a story, he was a tank driver and took it off a dead German soldier. Just posting to share and confirm a couple questions. The stock has not been sanded, a rough finish to the touch and all markings present. A matching numbers AC44 from the N block of production, even the stock is numbered to the gun. Riffling is perfect and he even gave me ammo with it so I’ll be taking it out this weekend to shoot. I’m pretty happy with this find. Most G43s I come across have been screwed with. Usually the stock or mismatched bolt. I told the guy I was surprised the stock was untouched, and he said he considered sanding it in the past, thanked him for not doing so. Tired to get more pictures outside but most didn’t look good afterwards. Oh I almost forgot, looks like there is a kill marking on the stock by trigger. You can see the exposed wood there has aged. Definitely was put there years ago, but whether it was for a kill or not I guess can never be proved. Also even has the cleaning kit in the trapdoor with a couple little cloths for cleaning.

So I see that this sports a milled receiver, was the receiver manufactured in France and shipped to Walther?

A high n block like this gun, would it have been produced roughly like September or October? I heard Q block was the latest for ‘44.

Finally, for value would this be about 3200$? Just to know I plan on keeping this riffle. Took a long time to find.

Thanks all, happy collecting. There is plenty still out there in the hands of families. I’m quite surprised actually.
    Attached Files

Pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dasboot2011; 05-13-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

That’s an excellent example! Not a kill mark though, just a gouge

Comment

Nice find!...Walther 'ac44's' are the most common maker/year combination, but the machined receiver is a nice addition....Good to see the stock hasn't been sanded....The opening under the buttplate is not for a cleaning kit, but for a G43 manual and spare parts....I'm assuming the manual is missing?....They often are..

As for shooting, you may want to replace springs and buy a shooter's kit....This way you limit potentially breaking things....Also, if it has a dust cover, you may want to remove it while shooting the rifle...Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by zimmerit View Post
          That’s an excellent example! Not a kill mark though, just a gouge
          Yes, I think it's just a gouge. That would be the worst place to put a deliberate mark, the wrist is the weakest part of the stock.

Nice looking rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
            Nice find!...Walther 'ac44's' are the most common maker/year combination, but the machined receiver is a nice addition....Good to see the stock hasn't been sanded....The opening under the buttplate is not for a cleaning kit, but for a G43 manual and spare parts....I'm assuming the manual is missing?....They often are..

As for shooting, you may want to replace springs and buy a shooter's kit....This way you limit potentially breaking things....Also, if it has a dust cover, you may want to remove it while shooting the rifle...Bodes
            I see it does have a stamped dust cover...Bodes

Comment

Ok thank. I figured maybe just a mag thru it nothing too crazy but you have a good point. Yes there is a dust cover present, will do.

No manual or spare parts unfortunately. I’ll attach a pic of the cleaning piece soon. Else makes sense with AC being most common, third one I have had but much better than my last two.

A gouge makes more sense than a kill mark, just wishful thinking I guess.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dasboot2011; 05-13-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dasboot2011 View Post
                Ok thank. I figured maybe just a mag thru it nothing too crazy but you have a good point. Yes there is a dust cover present, will do.

No manual or spare parts unfortunately.
                I personally have no problems with you putting some rounds through it....Just look things over good prior and remember to clean well afterwards...German ammunition can be corrosive....Bodes

Comment

I personally have no problems with you putting some rounds through it....Just look things over good prior and remember to clean well afterwards...German ammunition can be corrosive....Bodes
                  I gotcha. I wanted to break it down anyways and oil it. The ammo he gave me is surplus Interarms 8 mm supposedly non-coorrosive. Old ammo probably 70s maybe older. But whether it’s corrosive or not I’ll still clean it.

Comment

I'd consider perhaps saving the old Interarms 8mm ammo . . . . it is obviously ammo the WWII vet picked up post-war for use in his war trophy rifle. IMO it is a nice little "extra" to go with the rifle that sort of personalizes the vet's time with his war trophy. You can always obtain other 8mm ammo for blasting away if such is your planned course of action with the rifle, but you won't be able to replace the vet's ammo once it is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                      I'd consider perhaps saving the old Interarms 8mm ammo . . . . it is obviously ammo the WWII vet picked up post-war for use in his war trophy rifle. IMO it is a nice little "extra" to go with the rifle that sort of personalizes the vet's time with his war trophy. You can always obtain other 8mm ammo for blasting away if such is your planned course of action with the rifle, but you won't be able to replace the vet's ammo once it is gone.
                      You have a good point. Especially since most of it is inside a box from a fuel filter he replaced on his truck. For a 1968 f150 I believe.

I’m going to ask for some of his information so I can hopefully write to the National Archives and get his history.
                      Last edited by dasboot2011; 05-13-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Make sure the gas system is nice and free. I have bought them and they have been frozen up and you would not know that just by working the bolt. Also look at the chamber and make sure it is nice and clean free of rust or gunk. I have also broken extractors shooting them with chambers that were not clean enough.

Comment

Send some photos of the interarms ammo headstamp or post the markings in text. I bought a good bit from them through the 70s.

Comment

If you really want to fire it, I would buy some new PPU 8mm ammo. It is not as hot as the older surplus stuff, and I certainly wouldn't fire WWII ammo. That's just my opinion, based on having seen too many parts break (lugs, etc) over the years. I just don't think they planned on folks shooting these 75 years after they were built.
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I would not recommend shooting it, I have had one of these grenade in my face. It makes the same bang as every other 8mm that isn’t worth $3,000. If you absolutely can’t resist buy a shooters kit from Apfeltor with some stiffer springs etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X