1917 Eddystone Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1917 Eddystone Questions

I picked this up with some other items from a WWII vet's son. I don't know much if anything about these, but got it with the lot. A few questions I would have if anyone could help, I would appreciate it very much.
    1. I assume the stock has been sanded and oiled, doesn't it look like to you? I can still see some markings/stamps, thought.
    2 Do you suppose the top rear hand guard is a replacement or not? It has inspector stamps on the underneath, but color doesn't go together with the rest of the weapon.
    3. What would be the purpose of the silver disc with numbers on it?
    4. From what you can tell, it is in pretty nice shape, isn't it?

These might be dumb questions, but I would appreciate those who know about these opinions.
    Dave
    Attached Files

Nice P17. The silver disc with the numbers are range marks for using a long rage visor.

DP means "Drill Purpose" (did the US Army use them, too? I ever thought only the Britsh P14 and later the supplied P17 were stamped in that matter)

Bye
    Frank

Comment

To add: The rifle was manufactured at Remingtons plant at Eddystone.
      Remíngton built the Britsh P14 Rifle (calibre .303) from 1915 to March 1917. After the British cancelled the orders for the P14 Winchester and Remington changed the caliber to .30-06, the rifle was then introduced in the US Army as the Model of 1917, commonly called the M1917. The British, who got thousands of the M1917 in 1940, called it the P17.

But, the US M1917 didn´t had the long range disc n the stock.
      So there are some theories:
      1. Eddystone used some older P14 stocks for assembling the M1917
      2. it is an early rifle and the US did use the long range disc
      or
      3. the M1917 rifle was sometimes in British hands. They changed a damaged stock for a P14 stock. As a lot of rifles were used for training purposes the British added the D.P. stamp on in.
      I prefer 3.

Maybe a M1917 expert can help?

I shot a M1917 for some years, on of the best rifles in .30-06.

Bye
      Frank

Comment

The U.S. Lend-Leased 119,000 Model 1917 rifles to England during WWII, so there were some in British hands.

Comment

I know that some of these also wound up in the hands of American Legion and VFW drill teams honor guards.. I had one sourced this way a few years back from the members family...Billbert

Comment

My Legion Post had some 1917 Enfields til we traded them for Garands fairly recently. I don't recall any special markings. We also had some '03s.
            These pieces never were really released for personal property. Posts were supposed to keep track of them and return them when requested or traded for newer weapons.
            I have seen specimens that made it out back doors, etc.
            They may still be listed on Sam's books.
            I had a 96 Krag that was likely purloined from a Legion armory in the 50s.
            MLP

Comment

This is a US Model of 1917 in a British Pattern 1914 stock. The DP marked parts also come off a British Pattern 1914 rifle. It appears as if someone tried to restore a gun, but with incorrect parts.

Stock and stock hardware can be expensive. The finish also appears heavily used on this rifle and unless it is very cheap, I'd pass on it.

Comment

Thank you all for the information. That all makes sense with this rifle. It came with some other things, so it cost next to nothing. I may keep an eye out for a right stock or just leave it, but thank you for the help.
                Dave

Comment

This is a US Model of 1917 in a British Pattern 1914 stock. The DP marked parts also come off a British Pattern 1914 rifle. It appears as if someone tried to restore a gun, but with incorrect parts.
                  Thanks Promo, that was my idea, too.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X