Carcano in the Wehrmacht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carcano in the Wehrmacht

Anyone seen the use of the Italian Carcano rifle model 41 / 38 by WH soldiers?
    I know that by the end of '44 the germans where using anything what was available to defend their territory.

I know the Volksturm used another Carcano Version with the folding bayonet in the last days.

Maybe someone has pictures?

thanks,

There are some cacarnos converted to 8mm out there. some are single shot and some may be more. not sure. Some were made up and converted at depots and marked with HZa markings. I'm sure some more learned rifle experts can tell you more.

Comment

Here is a picture of a WH soldier with a Carcano carbine and another of a German soldier (Police?) with a Carcano.

As document collector i can say that the Germans used a lot of Italian weapons. Mostly by second line troops and during the last phase of the war, but also earlier. When mentioned on paper, they mostly denote it as "ital. Gewehr". I can't remember ever seeing a specific Italian rifle model mentioned. I will attach an excerpt from a Gliederung of Marine-Alarm-Bataillon I, this last-ditch unit was situated at Memel in 1945.

The Volkssturm did not just use the same Carcano carbine, they used everything that was available. I remember reading how some Volkssturm units got handgrenades issued without fuses and some soldiers (foreign) rifles with a few rounds or no ammo at all.
      Attached Files
      I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
      Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
      My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

The folding Italian bayonet was early and also used on some Baretta submachine guns...

As for Carcanos, rifles such as Oswald's didn't have elevating rear sights....This could limit their effectiveness with long ranged shots.....I don't know if the 41/38 had the same defeciency...

I have seen pictures of Italian soldiers carrying German K98k's, which leads me to believe they may have prefered them over their own.....Bodes

Comment

Fallschirmjager photo from Facebook

106265682-2601469740106466-9098401038858567814-n.jpg

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
              The folding Italian bayonet was early and also used on some Baretta submachine guns...

As for Carcanos, rifles such as Oswald's didn't have elevating rear sights....This could limit their effectiveness with long ranged shots.....I don't know if the 41/38 had the same defeciency...

I have seen pictures of Italian soldiers carrying German K98k's, which leads me to believe they may have prefered them over their own.....Bodes
              Most of the time if you see photos of Italians with German weapons it will be during the RSI period Sept 43 to May 45 after the armistice .

I think this was an actual issue of the weaponry . Especially with the four Army Divisions trained and equipped in Germany. Also there were Italian paratroopers attached to 4FJR ,the 9th of September Militia unit was attached to the Brandenburgers , The Forlì battalion which fought during the Battle of Garfagnana seems from photos was exclusively issued German weaponry. I’m sure German weapons in many instances and scenarios were both issued and preferred during this period . Also In this time frame you see many Germans carrying the Italian MAB machine gun

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post

Most of the time if you see photos of Italians with German weapons it will be during the RSI period Sept 43 to May 45 after the armistice .

I think this was an actual issue of the weaponry . Especially with the four Army Divisions trained and equipped in Germany. Also there were Italian paratroopers attached to 4FJR ,the 9th of September Militia unit was attached to the Brandenburgers , The Forlì battalion which fought during the Battle of Garfagnana seems from photos was exclusively issued German weaponry. I’m sure German weapons in many instances and scenarios were both issued and preferred during this period . Also In this time frame you see many Germans carrying the Italian MAB machine gun
                I too have seen pictures of Italian troops on the eastern front equipped with K98k's....I'm thinking one reason was to help with the standardization of 7.92mm ammunition amongst the troops....Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X