Clamshell / SA Feldjagerkorps bayonet, better images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clamshell / SA Feldjagerkorps bayonet, better images

I now have the bayonet in hand and rather than continue the earlier thread, I've started this one as I have taken my own photos.

Everything appears ok (as far as I can see), the original steel rivets are in place on the grip and it appears solid and not messed with.

The only thing that I have noticed for highlighting is, rather than the newer emblem being placed into the grip, you can see it appears to have been glued onto the grip, and the pinhole where the Prussian emblem was, has been filled in.

Should this be of concern to me? You can see markings on the stag grip where work has been done to remove the original emblem.

I don't want to go putting doubt in my mind on what should be a really nice item, I'm just not experienced enough to tell/judge.

I'll post the concerned image first and then the rest later.

Thanks

Jamie
    Attached Files

Jamie,

An original emblem, whether Polizei or Feldjäger, would never IMO be glued on. The emblem would have been pinned through the grip to the inside of the hilt only. A glued emblem is typical of a postwar improvement for a denazified bayonet. Most original emblems will have a slight to moderate wiggle when gently touched.

As you know, while this clamshell has value, I would say a lot of it's value would be in that specific grip emblem. Feldjäger bayonets are fairly scarce, if not rare, which would only increase the desire to add one to a bayonet, if only to make it more marketable.

Seeing a pin hole on the grip is something common on cut-down bayonets because when the blades were shortened, the grips were as well. This bayonet is a shorter length private purchase example so I don't believe we'd see such a thing on it. I admit I completely missed the filled-in hole when I first saw this bayonet, a hazard when looking at pictures on a phone.

I would return the bayonet but I'm speaking only for myself. It would bother me that the emblem was placed there post-1945. Of course there's always a chance this was the original emblem and someone knocked it off accidentally and tried their best to replace it, but I doubt it. Such a thing decreases value to collectors too.

Comment

Thanks Billy

That's exactly the sort of information I was after.

When I saw the pin hole that was my first concern but then taking a macro shot of the emblem and seeing the glue really had me wondering.

At £1250, I'd expect much better so I will be contacting the dealer and asking him to take it back.

A shame, but as you say, these things are rare so it's better to have a 100% example than one with doubts which in the future will no doubt cause trouble when I give up collecting and try to sell on.

Many thanks

Jamie

Comment

Billy knows his bayo's.

The one shown I would also return. A glued emblem and the extra grip holes is not what you want, especially that emblem is what signifies a scarce Feldjager bayonet.

They should look more like this:

-Serge
        Attached Files

Comment

That's a stunner Serge.

One day....

Comment

Jamie,

Serge's Feldjäger is an awesome example that came with a period modified frog, just a winner in every sense of the word. Also notice how the clamshell was removed rather roughly without removing the metal spacer that once held it in place. Obviously the original owner opted to just take it off the easier (and cheaper) way.

Here's my only example, it came out of an old East Coast collection that was liquidated several years ago. A good buddy tipped me to it and I'm very grateful he did
            Attached Files

Comment

Clamshell still in place.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to you both for the photos and assistance, I really appreciate it.

Perhaps you could do me one more favour.

Is there preferred book on Polizei edged weapons in particular?

I have a few Polize books (Vol 1 and 2 of Angolia and Taylor, The German Police (WW2 report by SHAEF) and WWII German Police Units) but they lack any specific in depth information that would help me immensely.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Comment

Jamie,

Pick up a copy of Ron Weinand and Gary Walker's "Clamshells and Other German Bayonets". It may be from 1986 but it's still an excellent reference for Polizei bayonets. George Wheeler's "Seitengewehr" also has a good Polizei section.

Comment

there was strange area of removing material under the emblem, as by glueing You should have a plain surface under which is on horn grips unreal to find, by pins, there is no need to flash the surface of grips. b.r.Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X