X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA dagger opinion

Just wanted to know your opinion on this. The dealer is asking $500

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

An interesting dagger. The cutlery firm of Neidhardt & Schmidt is rated at #7 on the McSARR scale, which means that we seldom see a piece marked as this one is. The blade appears to have been heavily cleaned, which also removed the highlighting on the blade motto and most of the highlighting on the logo. The marking on the reverse lower crossguard -- "F" -- is unknown to me as a reference to an SA Group. The only SA-Gruppe with a name beginning with an "F" was "Franken," and the reverse crossguard die stamp that was used to represent that Group was "Fr."

Also, is there a scabbard with this piece? It's always helpful to see the complete set.

Thanks, E_Minor, and welcome among us!

Br. James

Comment

SA dagger opinion

It would need more pics to be sure, if the price is appropriate for a dagger only (without scabbard).

Important details are: tang nut screw (unturned without scratches?), grip eagle and SA roundel (originally set in?), blade (condition?).

Try to make more photos from different angles, especially from the blade and makers mark. I’m not sure if the blade has been polished. I think I can see cross grain. The blade might be not that bad.

Comment

I didn't buy this one. It did have a scabbard but when I went back to take a better look, I noticed the tip was broken. I was at an antique militaria show. Signal was bad. I did buy a ground nskk eickhorn.

Comment

Good decision [emoji106] A broken tip lowers the value of a dagger significantly. And $500 is way too much then for this piece.

Comment

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post
            Good decision [emoji106] A broken tip lowers the value of a dagger significantly. And $500 is way too much then for this piece.
            Dealer personality was a little off putting also. The person I was with noticed it also. I didn't really want to buy from him anyway

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X