Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slant for comments

Hello all.

I dont often post anymore as you are aware but on occasions i find something I like to discuss. This a nice slant by Horster and from what i can see it has the scarce Horster crossguard (WarDaggers ref). Looking at it up close there is a lot of work in that eagle. The pommel and blade also have casting marks.

Not convinced this is an early production item. would have been made before or after they started using WKC 1St pattern bits. Also odd is the shape of the tang. An almost off centre high shoulder affair. The scabbard is magnetic with some slight bubbling to the plate.
    Attached Files

2nd batch
    Attached Files

Comment

3rd and final.

thanks for looking
      Attached Files

Comment

This is a unusual combination. All parts are early except for the blade and pommel. Never seen this combination of parts before.

Regards
        Danny

Comment

IMO part dagger.
          Pommel, ferrule and balde are later type, and handle, cossgard and scabbard are early E.u.F. Horster Solingen products.
          Aloso unfortunately all dagger parts are cleaned.

Schlange

https://mojalbum.com/schlange88

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=916564

Comment

Originally posted by Schlange View Post
            IMO part dagger.
            Pommel, ferrule and balde are later type, and handle, cossgard and scabbard are early E.u.F. Horster Solingen products.
            Aloso unfortunately all dagger parts are cleaned.

Schlange
            I agree.

The blade should be a 'tapered tang' for a early slant gripped Horster.
            I do like that heavily hand chased crossguard.

That said, await other opinions.

-Serge

Comment

From my own perspective across the spectrum of Solingen produced daggers - zinc based parts are indicative of later produced items versus early, and this example looking to be zinc. The question being where is the dividing line that separates them? FP

Comment

Frank, good to see you posting again! I have also been absent as of late. Interesting dagger for sure here.. that guard is a heart breaker!, and I believe it is a highly enhanced initial WKC example. I assume it has that heavy brass based weight to it? Which does not knock it out of contention for being a Horster original as they used these on there earlier batches. But the later light pommel and non tapered tang blade with the later small Horster oval is irregular to see with the slant and guard. Be interesting to see if the grip has been filed inside to fit a big tapered tang as most were? Last is the scabbard which does look to be early quality and has some unique looking bands that are not readily recognizable to me as to their maker? Horster did have a unique band they used initially and this doesn’t look like a ringer for that, although it is nice. Best, Kevin.

Comment

hello and thanks for the comments. I too was deflated not to see a tapered tang and yes Kevin the grip has been filed to accomodate a much wider tang. The cross guard is heavy and i thought it looked a lot like the one on John's site. I have sent him the pictures as well and will await his email.

As to The scabbard rings i will take some better pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

I am now focusing on the fairs as well as vinyl records but i still keep my eye out for interesting daggers.

Comment

Frank, Following up with some pics of my early example for comparison.. notice this dagger has numbered parts and this was widely seen on initial Horster heers but not always.. you may want to look inside your guard and on the grip for numbers. Also notice the unique scabbard bands with the stippling on the leaves that I believe are Horster initial only and not used by any other maker.. here you also see the large MM for comparison too. Best, Kevin.
                    Attached Files

Comment

More..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kevin. What a fantastic dagger. That is the type i like finding. Though of late, since retiring from work, i have to resist wandering the isles

just had an email from John and like you he believes the cross guard to be an early hand enhanced WKC 1St. A parts dagger for sure but some of the parts are really nice. I wiil post the scabbard bands later.

Regards

Comment

Crossguard is an early WKC, it has the 5 feather segments seen on early WKC's and Klaas daggers, Horster and nearly every other guard have 4.

Russ.

Comment

Kevin, A outstanding Initial production serial numbered Horster.

Only other company I know of that serial numbered their Army daggers is Weyersberg (for a short while).

Thanks for sharing this beauty.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X