Portepee in auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portepee in auction

I saw this portepee in a auction and wondered, if this is really for railway as said in the discripition....

What are your thoughts on this item?

Ostmaerker
    Attached Files

Portepee In Auction

At first glance my knee jerk reaction is that this a post war fantasy and or a put together piece. The black strap resembles that of a SS EM sword knot and the stem and ball resembles a Jr. SS NCO sword/bayonet knot. I see no Eisenbahn attributes in this knot.

The threads appear to be rounded and not at all flattened. I like to see that anyway. This would be a piece I would personally stay away from. As always please be patient for another opinion or two to come in. 3:1 says it glows like a Christmas tree.

Best wishes,

Mat J

Comment

Hello, years ago I have seen exact one of these on a diplomat´s dagger sold by Wittmann. He stated it would be a portepee for diplomat´s lower ranks. He also did show a pic but this was so blurry I personally could not distinguish anything.
      Greetings, daggers.
      Last edited by daggers; 06-17-2018, 06:10 AM. Reason: concretizing

Comment

Johnson sold a Diplomat dagger with a knot like this about 10-11 years ago. As Daggers says, it was listed as lower ranks Diplomat's knot. Rare item for sure, assuming it's period.

Comment

Hi guys.

It's definitely not a portapee for diplomatic staff or government officials

Comment

It is for the lower rank Diplo Dagger and very rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
              It is for the lower rank Diplo Dagger and very rare.
              For me, until someone shows me the opposite with clear period photographs or documentary evidence, it has nothing to do with the German diplomats of the Third Reich

Of course I can be wrong but other authors like Angolia or Jill Halcomb do not mention anything about this portapee

Comment

Originally posted by marisca lrommel View Post
                For me, until someone shows me the opposite with clear period photographs or documentary evidence, it has nothing to do with the German diplomats of the Third Reich

Of course I can be wrong but other authors like Angolia or Jill Halcomb do not mention anything about this portapee

Ltc.TMJ clearly mentiones this certain knot cited out of a period regulation description(!) in his "Third Reich Edged Weapon Accoterments" book.
                Greetings, daggers.

Comment

Originally posted by daggers View Post
                  Ltc.TMJ clearly mentiones this certain knot cited out of a period regulation description(!) in his "Third Reich Edged Weapon Accoterments" book.
                  Greetings, daggers.
                  Correct daggers.
                  It's on page 80. Also mentions that this grade wore a hanger with "black leather straps with silver fittings".

Guys, books are your friends.

-Serge

Comment

I still think that this portpee has nothing to do with the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs during the Third Reich ...

At the moment, I have no evidence of the contrary

Comment

The only thing I've seen looked like is in Jill Halcomb's book on page 125 where a bayonet appears supposedly created for the Foreign Office but Jill Halcomb says that it is the only specimen that has been seen of that bayonet so it would be a great find find a portpee of a prototype that no one else has .... for me it is a later invoice or has nothing to do with this bayonet or with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
                      Attached Files

Comment

It would be for a bayonet prototype not for a dagger ... being a prototype never came to be used ... at least you do not realize it in the different regulations
                        Attached Files

Comment

more..
                          Attached Files

Comment

Anyway, if we look at the portpee of the auction and the one in Halcomb's book we will see that they are not the same ...

Comment

OK, full story:

I had the chance to buy a diplomats dagger from a private home. On this dagger there was this portepee shown in the first post. As I haven´t seen such a portepee yet, I thought this wasn´t original to the dagger and just took the dagger.
                              But I showed picures of the dagger with the portepee to a friend, who remembered the picture in the book of Johnson.
                              So I bit my ass for not having taken the portepee too. But the seller of the dagger gave the portepee to an auction, where it was portraid as an railway portepee.
                              My friend bought the portepee to a very high price, which shows, that other people also knew the rarity of this piece.

So this porteppe was on a diplomats dagger, which has never been out of hand of the family. Of course I still have the dagger, but without the portepee, which was original to it.

Ostmaerker

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X