SA w/ Leather Cover Scabbard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA w/ Leather Cover Scabbard

Need opinions on this one as I have never seen one like this before. Fr. marked on front crossguard. Early maker marked Gebrouder Heller Schmalkalden.
    Scabbard is fully convered in leather. This one came out of an old collection.

Any idea of the value?

Please help to shed some light on this one please!!
    Attached Files

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pics
      Attached Files

Comment

More
        Attached Files

Comment

Last two.
          Attached Files

Comment

I never seen so much damage on a leather covered scabbard, but the hilt looks fine.

Also, it looks like it was re-dyed to cover the all the nicks, but IMHO, makes it worse.

Where is the stitch joint ?

Regards,
            Serge

Comment

All good points raised by Serge M. I would also wonder why the texture of the leather on the scabbard appears as it does -- the leather-covered scabbards seen in Ralf Siegert's reference work all have an even texture to them, unlike what we see here. Also, this dagger has apparently been dis-assembled since the lower crossguard has been mounted backwards -- the SA-Gruppe code should appear on the reverse, not on the dagger's obverse.

Br. James

Comment

No stitch joint or seam that I can see.

Fr =?

Any ideas where this one came from? It was out of an old collection with some "normal" looking daggers by a fellow in he's late 70's.

Comment

Done post war by whom is anyone's guess
                  I once had one with a scabbard covered in a brown flock wallpaper
                  And very nicely done to

Comment

SA Group code "Fr" stands for SA-Gruppe Franken.

Br. James

Comment

OK, So do you think the leather wap was done post war?

Comment

Originally posted by Serge M. View Post
                        I never seen so much damage on a leather covered scabbard, but the hilt looks fine.

Also, it looks like it was re-dyed to cover the all the nicks, but IMHO, makes it worse.

Regards,
                        Serge
                        Hilt and blade are nice and do not match with the condition of this scabbard IMO.

Comment

Besides the lower scabbard mount the mouthpiece also has a number of knife edge cuts. Edge chipping on the grip - etc. etc. as was mentioned, if I had to make a guess some 10 year olds were sword fighting with daggers. And later on somebody decided to try and do a "tuneup" on the dagger before selling it. FP

Comment

Originally posted by Serge M. View Post

Regards,
                            Serge
                            There isnt a stich joint as they were lapped over and glued

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X