Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about LW sword..

Hi,

I might be interested in a LW sword and was wondering what maker would be the best choice.
    Also,if I take one I'd like to have it complete,with Gehäng..
    What would be a reasonable price ?

Jos.

Jos, while I can't say I have a favorite maker, my preference is for an early silvered example. I really perfer a dark toned example where the finish has turned almost black. Take care as some of these have had the scabbard leather replaced and it's sometimes hard to tell. The entire piece should look equally aged. Unfortunately I didn't price any of these at the SOS, maybe someone who did can give us a report.
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Jos.

I just picked one up for $625 but it didn't have the leather frog and the tip may have been re-shaped.

Harvey

Comment

Eickhorn is a well-recognized and sought after maker, as is SMF. I'm with Larry, though...go for an early, heavily silvered and patinaed example, That combination still stops me in my tracks every time I see one, regardless of maker.

Should be able to get into one for +/- $900.00 or so. If you find a really nice one, I wouldn't hesitate to go another hundred, though.

Good luck,
        Skip

Comment

I agree with others here that the early silver plated variation is more desirable than the later aluminum. One thing that you should look for is the amount of silvering remaining in the swas inserts. Some well meaning folks have cleaned these over the years resulting in loss of this plating. These appear all brass on the swas insert. If you can find one with much of the silver between the legs of the swas the swas really stands out. Even better, if you can ever find one. is one with the factory protective lacquer intact. This lacquer protects the silver from oxidizing and the finish retains it's bright finish.

Whatever you choose, these swords are beautiful. Good Luck!
          www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

I have a nice, silver Horster with school markings. The swords construction seems top notch. I've got to say that I'm impressed with most Horsters.

Good luck. Like Lake said, these are very beautiful swords.

Comment

I own about 26 of these swords, and the maker i like the best is Horster. The very early nickel/silver ones are the nicest. a very nice SMF early sword is on lakesidetraders site too. And the early Paul weyersberg swords are very good. Oe tip, get a sword that's complete, and sound. These are easy to find between the 800 -1000 usd range.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X