HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LW Sword with (unit?) markings. Opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Sword with (unit?) markings. Opinions please.

Hello again,

I posted photos of this sword a few weeks ago and you guys thought it looked okay. Now that I have received it there are some markings under the hilt that I would like to understand. I've also included a shot of the MM and a few others. What do you guys think of the markings? Thanks,

Harvey
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harvey Ambrose; 03-02-2005, 10:07 PM.

Marks on hilt
    Attached Files

Comment

Mm
      Attached Files

Comment

Blade Tip
        Attached Files

Comment

Blade upper
          Attached Files

Comment

Harvey,

The markings are assembly numbers and the M is probably an inspectors mark. This area is usually covered with a leather washer.

Could you show a better picture of the tip of the blade?

Thanks.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Hi Tony,

I'm out of town today but will post the tip photo as soon as I can. Do you suspect a problem?

Harvey

Originally posted by Tiger 1
              Harvey,

The markings are assembly numbers and the M is probably an inspectors mark. This area is usually covered with a leather washer.

Could you show a better picture of the tip of the blade?

Thanks.

Tony

Comment

Hello, it may just be your picture angle or lighting.....but, it looks like it has been re-pointed to me given the picture you have posted. my best, Bret

Comment

Hi guys,

I think you might be right about the tip being re-shaped; I didn't look the sword over very closely, did I? If it's re-shaped there wasn't much broken off, based upon the distance from the tip of the blade to the end of the scabbard. I can still send this back: is $625 too much for this sword if the tip has been re-shaped?

Harvey
                  Attached Files

Comment

Against scabbard
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Ambrose
                      Hi guys,

is $625 too much for this sword if the tip has been re-shaped?

Harvey
                      Depends...without the re-shaped tip, the sword would likely fetch $900.00 - $1,000.00

I agree that the blade wasn't shortened much when compared to the scabbard so, if you can live with the sword and an extra $350.00 or so in your pocket, it's a keeper. If not, you should return it and hold out for an unaltered example.

Hope that helps,
                      Skip

Comment

As we get older our tips are not what they used to be. I'd keep the sword because the scabbard and grip are in great condition and for $650 you have a GREAT PERIOD PIECE. Just my opinion . . . .

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Other than the tip the rest of the blade is about mint. The tip doesn't bother me that much since the rest of the sword is so nice. I really appreciate your input.

Harvey

Comment

Nice nickel piece indeed. I think the piece is great otherwise and the price is right. Skip's right, if you can live with the tip (and it's not really that bad), then keep it.

Comment

looks like a nice Lufty with a good patina forming on those fittings,my opinion ...keep and dont clean

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,790 at 04:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X