No announcement yet.

RAD officer's dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EM hewer is a real handful, must be the heaviest of the 'daggers' surely, but the Leaders is quite a delicate thing in the flesh, especially when compared to the EM.

If you haven't handled one before Jason it may come as a bit of a surprise.

Cheers,
    David.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

I have at a few shows, but I don't own one yet. By size I meant the dimensions and over all look. They look very impressive compaired to a Navy dagger.

JasonS

Comment

Indeed.

Cheers,
        David.
        At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Great find Jon! Congrats. I wonder if it is for sale

Mike

Comment

Jon - It looks nice. I disagree, I think it is in better shape than most RAD leaders. Better than mine for sure.
            Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado
              Jon - It looks nice. I disagree, I think it is in better shape than most RAD leaders. Better than mine for sure.
              Thanks guys
              yes it has a great patina, yet a nice shine. The scabbard is solid silver is that right? it sure looks it. And the crossguard etc. is a heavy silver plate. I just love the coloring of the metal! I think it's been in the dark all these years, so the handle has held the color well. It was a vet find, and originally came from a drawer in a 'very interesting' place in germany (that's all I'll say until I get watertight proof a.s.a.p)
              hey Colorado, could we see yours?
              regards
              jon

Comment

Jon,

At the risk of cheesing everyone off with this link here is mine:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=Rad

It still has the blued panels and the factory lacquer which has turned a lovely golden colour.

I have a 7MB Zip file of pics from all angles; if you are interested drop me a PM and I can e-mail it to you.

Cheers,
                David.

Comment

Hi Jon - Here are the photos. It is a pretty rare maker of RAD leader's. EPS.
                  Last edited by Colorado; 04-08-2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

logo
                    Last edited by Colorado; 04-08-2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

That's interesting Jeff, I've never seen a Leader with the RAD proof mark before. Anyone else have one?

Cheers,
                      David.

Comment

wow, nice daggers guys!
                        I feel like I've joined an exclusive club! What values are we talking here?
                        regards
                        jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,564 at 02:05 PM on Today.

Working...
                        X