Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this 1st model Luft dagger look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this 1st model Luft dagger look?

I have the option of getting this dagger but I was wondering if I could get a few opinions on it. The top fitting (round thingy with swastica) is loose and that concerns me. Looks to be an alum. model. The top piece is very loose (like the threads are stripped) and as a result the handle and lower ring wiggle about. It fits the scabbard snug and has a nice feel overall to it but I am new to this stuff and any help or advice is welcomed.

JasonS
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

makers mark
      Attached Files

Comment

hanger
        Attached Files

Comment

grip
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks okay in the photos. If the pommel is indeed stripped, you would expect it to be bargain priced. An original, aluminum pommel is not a difficult thing to find, so if the dagger is priced right you might consider that an option.

Best,
            Skip

Comment

Looks to be in far too good a condition to me!, REPRO???

Can you post better pics, especially of the MM? is it possible to discern the graduations on the thermometer?

Cheers,
              David.
              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

I will try and take some better pictures Sunday. I am trying to learn the finer techniques of photography.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS
                  I will try and take some better pictures Sunday. I am trying to learn the finer techniques of photography.

Cool.

FW Holler is a favourite of the faker so be careful with this one especially considering the shot pommel threads on an otherwise super clean dagger.

Cheers,
                  David.
                  At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Originally posted by David C
                    Looks to be in far too good a condition to me!, REPRO???
                    My experience has been that the aluminum Luftwaffe daggers and swords just don't develop any patina or show their age unless they've been abused. One over zealous half-turn of the pommel would be sufficient to strip the threads. Maybe the vet who brought the piece home was looking for the ever-elusive "Nazi diamonds"!

Better photos would help, though

Skip

Comment

Yes Skip mine too. I may be wrong but there is something about this one I don't like the look of.

Cheers,
                      David.

Comment

I'm too novice to offer an opinion on whether or not this dagger is original; but if you purchase it I can tell you how to repair the pommel without having to replace it. If you have some very basic machinist skills it shouldn't be that hard. I've collected US Civil War swords for 28 years and have some expertise with repairs.

Harvey

Comment

Thank you for the offer Mr. Ambrose. I might take you up on it pending a final or . I have put a strip of alum. foil inside the pommel and that seems to have helped bind it to the shank.

Comment

Jason, How much are they asking for this 1st.Luft. I don't like it,to new looking: maker mark - thick washer ?

Best, Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by T elliott
                              Jason, How much are they asking for this 1st.Luft. I don't like it,to new looking: maker mark - thick washer ?

Best, Tommy
                              $425

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X